Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mimic yellow vs yellow tang

Hey all. I REALLY want a yellow tang but my tank is only 4ft. My lfs has a small mimic yellow tang and i lime it more than a standard yellow tang. Will this work in my 55?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it the color you want? Do you have corals? I would suggest a lemon peel angel if you don't have corals. I don't think putting a tang in a 55 is a very good idea since they are prone to stress related diseases that can effect a whole tank. They need a lot of room even little ones and a lot of current.

If you really want a tang start saving all your money to get a bigger tank it will be better for the fish and a lot less stress for both of you.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to everything Joy said.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
Is it the color you want? Do you have corals? I would suggest a lemon peel angel if you don't have corals. I don't think putting a tang in a 55 is a very good idea since they are prone to stress related diseases that can effect a whole tank. They need a lot of room even little ones and a lot of current.

If you really want a tang start saving all your money to get a bigger tank it will be better for the fish and a lot less stress for both of you.
My lfs has a yellow angel.... i guess its the fish the mimic tang mimics. Could i do a yellow angel and a bicolor angel?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only one angel per tank unless it is a huge tank most don't get along well with others there are rare occasions they do but it doesn't always last.Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Lemonpeel Angelfish Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Angelfish to me the lemon peel is closer in color to a yellow tang.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
Only one angel per tank unless it is a huge tank most don't get along well with others there are rare occasions they do but it doesn't always last.Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Lemonpeel Angelfish Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Angelfish to me the lemon peel is closer in color to a yellow tang.
Cool. What about him? Anyone have one? I like it!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...455&pcatid=455
Old 01-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any dwarf angel will work in your 55,,i would not get any type of tang though...Plus like joy said ,one angel per tank is your best bet..I like the cherub too,,cute little fish
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Any dwarf angel will work in your 55,,i would not get any type of tang though...Plus like joy said ,one angel per tank is your best bet..I like the cherub too,,cute little fish
I just dont know what i want. I want a bright yellow angel but i REALLY want some blue fish. I dont know what blue fish to get that arent mean like damsels or too big like tangs.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55 View Post
I just dont know what i want. I want a bright yellow angel but i REALLY want some blue fish. I dont know what blue fish to get that arent mean like damsels or too big like tangs.
Have you thought of chromis? They are commonly found as green/blue, but there are a couple species with a dark blue color you may like. School around in the tank and are pretty cool to watch.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

Have you thought of chromis? They are commonly found as green/blue, but there are a couple species with a dark blue color you may like. School around in the tank and are pretty cool to watch.
Ive heard they can be mean. Is that true?

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com