Mineral mud in HOB fuge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Modding an AC110. Considering putting mineral mud, rock rubble, and chaeto. Thoughts?

IMO the mud will be kinda pointless in the ac110. I'd just run it with the rubble and chaeto.

How come pointless out of curiosity? Seems like a lot of people I've seen online use the mud in their fuge... Jw.

How come pointless out of curiosity? Seems like a lot of people I've seen online use the mud in their fuge... Jw.

Well the only reason to run mineral mud would be if you have plants that would feed off the minerals in it. Chaeto floats so it doesn't use the mud at all. Also, that mud will turn your tank nasty in that hob fuge.

Actually it's made to be a fuge substrate...

Yes I know but it really serves the same purpose as sand and is different in that it is used for root feeding plants. Sand houses micro fauna and bacteria the same way so why spend the money on the mud. A hob filter isn't much of a fuge.

It will be modded, and won't function exactly as a hob. YouTube it to get an idea.

It will be modded, and won't function exactly as a hob. YouTube it to get an idea.

I know how they work. All I was saying is that it is a pretty small refugium and sand will do the same exact thing. You're not growing mangroves or another root feeding plant. You are growing a floating plant. Therefore the minerals in the mud really serve no purpose.

Ok now I gotcha. So what is the hype about it lol? That being said, do I even really need "rubble" or can I just put 2 smaller pieces in with a macro?

Ok now I gotcha. So what is the hype about it lol? That being said, do I even really need "rubble" or can I just put 2 smaller pieces in with a macro?

No idea lol. Just another "fix everything" product that doesn't actually do what it says. I would run some rubble just to allow pods to have somewhere to really breed.

Back
Top Bottom