mini carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tilton.s11

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is what my carpet looked like 2 years ago when I first got it.

2011-11-11 11.21.21-1.jpg

It shriveled up, I thought it was dying, but it just came back a darker color.

ForumRunner_20130721_190433.jpg

This is how it looked a few weeks ago...

ForumRunner_20130721_190504.jpg

Now it's all small and shriveled up again.

ForumRunner_20130721_190616.jpg

Is it changing colors again? Is this normal?

Looks like its irritated. What are you parameters?
Here's a picture of mine in my BC29

It's in the bottom left on the FTS
The other picture is from when it ate my lawnmower blennie-.-

I personally don't see a lot of maxi mini nems with good color unless they are in pretty dang good water. Every store I've seen them at they're Brown and shrivled up. :-/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130721_214031.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130721_214031.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 136
  • ForumRunner_20130721_214043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130721_214043.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 138
Hmm. How long has it been since you've fed it and what do you feed it?

Possibly but it all around doesn't look too healthy. I would feed it pieces of cleaned silverside or table shrimp about the size of the mouth. Pretty much a sugar cube size is good. I feed mine once a week and he's always been colourful and happy

Here's what it looks like today. First pic has flash on, 2nd doesn't. Haven't fed it yet, but I plan on doing that today as well as a water change, new carbon, and a poly-filter. Last pic is what I was told was blasto's & today is the best they have looked since I got them almost a month ago...found it's happy spot!! :)

ForumRunner_20130722_095251.jpg

ForumRunner_20130722_095305.jpg

ForumRunner_20130722_095316.jpg

Your nem is looking a little better. Something may have just pissed it off. I would try the weekly feedings and see if you get results, I sure have. Also a white picture would be better but those blastos look pretty healthy too. Don't forget to feed them at night if u want a lot of growth from them. Awesome coral in my opinion

Your nem is looking a little better. Something may have just pissed it off. I would try the weekly feedings and see if you get results, I sure have. Also a white picture would be better but those blastos look pretty healthy too. Don't forget to feed them at night if u want a lot of growth from them. Awesome coral in my opinion

Thanks. I've been doing weekly feedings for the mini carpet for the better part of the 2 years I've have it. Maybe slacked some here and there. But I will stay on it for a couple moths & see how it does.
Didn't know I was suppose to feed blastos at night but I can do that. I will get another pic w/just white light later on today. :)

Blasto w/o so much blue lights. One is white which makes make tank look yellow...?? The other is just the reg blue...I think looks better :)

ForumRunner_20130722_171013.jpg

ForumRunner_20130722_171004.jpg

You could lower your salinity a bit also. .026 would be better IME.

Forgot to explain that part...I have a hydrometer it's not real accurate. I do need to do my water change & top off the tank. I will take some water to the lfs for their more accurate numbers. Could the salinity make the carpet shrink up like that? If so why is he open today?

It's higher than natural sea water, so I imagine it could be stressful just like any other parameters being out of whack. I am not saying that's your problem here, but without knowing, I would eliminate the obvious things first.

Oh & what's a better test kit? I know you've said api isn't great but I don't think I've seen anyone suggest better. I was looking on liveaquaria and api is the only one that bunches everything you need together in a kit.

I like Salifert and Elos. You need to invest in a refractometer.

Knew that one was coming. LOL

So...what I've been looking at...

The cheap portable on is about $50, the next one is $113, but is the pinpoint thing any good?? What kind do you use. I'll get something next week when I get paid.

ForumRunner_20130722_175341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom