Mini reef lighting? 30 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I am gonna be setting up a Mini reef with a 30 long aquarium. I am gonna be using power compact lighting. I am wondering what wattage I would need to keep corals. Would a double 96Watt compact fixture be enough or too much? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Jeff

The general rule of thumb for fluorescent bulbs is 3-5 watts per gal. of aquarium water. A double 96 watt fixture would be great on a 30gal. That would leave you with many options as far as corals go-you would be able to keep some of the more light demanding corals. HTH and welcome to the site :wink: .

Hello,,, the tank will be 36" long,12 deep, and 16 high. I don't think I want to go with halides. Shouldn't a couple 96watt PC's be pretty good? Or something approximately that. So far this is a very nice site for help.

thanks
Jeff

Halides will cover well on a 3 foot tank. One halide would cover a 30 gallon GREAT. But i am sure that 2 96's if that is what you are planning would be fine

Well I am still kinda trying to decide I don't have a ton of money to spend to start and it is going to be in my living room. Can Halides be used and look nice,, and keep the heat down?

thanks
Jeff

Yes, especially if you go with pendants. I'd be really tempted to go with two bulbs over a 36" tank though. IMO, you'll be fine with a 2x96w PC system though. 12" is pretty shallow and the PC's should penetrate that depth quite well. What kind of corals do you intend to keep? That is what will really determine the lighting you need. If you are going to want lots of SPS in this tank, then I'd say go with the halides. Otherwise, the PC's should do the trick.

Thanks alot guys you have been a great help so far. I am gonna check around and think about some things. I am excited to set up but want to do it right. I will be back for more help I am sure.

thanks
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom