Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
minimum time for freshly made saltwater

hello, what is the minimum time for allowing freshly made sw to aerate. i know its supposed to be 24 hrs, but what about emergencies??

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think around 12 hrs would not be a issue as long as the salt has mixed good. Throwing a extra pump or PH in it will help a lot in shorting the time. Other than that you have to weight the necessary of a "evil". You could mix a lot less and use if the situation was severe enough.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks, im an idiot and didnt cover the newly made fresh water during the 24 hour period, and am now having nitrite and ammonia problems. i didnt check my new water and did 2 water changes with ro/di water that needed the filters changed, so i changed them, nitrites 0 but the ammonia is between .5 and 1 (ouch), i i figure it needs to be covered.. i tested the ro/di water and its 0 across the line (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates) ....... not in the tank the ammonia is .25, nitrites 2, ph 7.9, i didnt even check the nitrates, i know they have to be bad... im in the process of making new water (that i will cover) so that i can do the appropriate water changes..... too bad i can only do about 25 gallons in 24 hours, thats why i was asking.

hope dies last
Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You do not want to cover the water. The main reason for mixing 24 hrs is to oxygenate the water. If it is covered it will not allow gas exchange. If you have NH3 and NO2 it is not because it was not covered. Am I understanding this correctly? The RO water was all "0" and then you added salt and it had NH3 and NO2? What brand salt? You sure the test was correct?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mnestroy
So your saying when you do your 20% water changes your supposd to let the new salt water stir in a bucket for 24hrs before it goes into your tank?

Whats wrong with just letting it mix for a half hr or so?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

freshly made salt water is too caustic to add straight to the tank. Better to let sit for a while to aerate and mix properly.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well to make a long story short, it turns out that my ro/di water has ammonia in it, which is causing all these problems, as you can imagine. this ammonia is goin into my tank and then turning into nitrites, etc,etc.... im glad i dont have any fish. i feel bad for my peppermint shrimp though. i tested the ro/di water for nitrite and nitrate because my tanks perameters were messing up, which i couldnt figure out becuase i had done major water changes after i lost my six line and a shrimp to a crab. i had done 4 water changes and it was getting worse, not better, so i tested the ro/di water and it had nitrites, so i changed the filters and it went to 0 (3 days ago). last night, i tested for ammonia because the fresh sw was showing nitrites again and its NOOOO good. i think it was between 2-4. how is this possible?? i added some water conditioner to it, but ive heard that screws with the ammonia readings because of the chloramines or something..... what do i do???

hope dies last
Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Do the filters or resin or membrane need to be replaced on your RO/DI ? Cant understand the ammonia part.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they were all changed (6 stage) 3 days ago. i cant figure it out either, i dont know what to do. is better just to use tap and use water conditioner?? or use the conditioner with the ro/di? i live in an apt, maybe the water is bad in the first place, but i thought the ro/di would take care of it....... i remember testing it and all it had was 10 of nitrate.......

hope dies last
Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is you ammonia test kit, and what brand?

I would get a second ammonia test done, like at your LFS, cuz RO water should not have ammonia or nitrite. New tank water might because of the cycling process, but newly mixed SW should not.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com