Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Missing anenome

I have had a long tentacle anenome for about 2-3 years now and for the past 4-6 months he has been getting smaller and smaller. Based on what I have heard these guys dont last long. I saw him this morning. However tonight he is gone. The water doesnt look like he got sucked into a PH but I wonder if this isnt the case. He was about the size of a half dollar and really didnt have much to him. My tank is a reef and is about 130 gallon total and have about 175 lbs of LR. I tested my trate level and its either 0 or very low if anything. My PO4 level is 0.
Im wondering if he did die I would think my tank would be able to handle it without a spike of any sort. I have inverts and corals. What trate level can those handle? I think I have seen people with as much as 50+ trates and everything still be ok??

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Red legged hermits can sometimes chow down on them. Just a thought.

65 gal reef
2 PC's 192W each , 20 gal sump/fuge
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
Mine has moved around the tank a few times. It even did the power head feed for a day, but it is still around. My Condi does the same thing once in a while.
Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
with that much LR and being so small, perhaps it's wedged in somewhere and you just can't see it ... or it could have been "cleaned up".

I'd test very often to make sure there are no issues just to be safe.
Kimberly in NE Florida
Cycle complete Early 2-06
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a lta that I've had for over a year. It will shrink down and hide in the rock once every few months like it just needs a few days of down time. It comes back out in a day or two as healthy as ever. In my experience though, shrinking in size means it's not getting enough light or the right kind of light or a change in lighting. Is it time for new light bulbs maybe? Or have you just replaced bulbs? The small size it is at, you probably won't notice any difference in your parameters but I'd watch them just in case. As for the trates, I had some down time where I wasn't able to maintain my tank the way it should be and my trates were extremely high. My corals and anemones never shown any sign of stress but since I got things back on track, they do seem to expand more so I guess while they can tolerate some, it's probably not the happiest enviroment for them.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Mine does like fluff`s . It just moves and hides and then reappears for a showing. Then off again to discover itself.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

anenome, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com