Missing clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired Brian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Havnt seen my clown for 3days I think it could be dead in the live rock somewhere .my ammonia test is coming up zero but I have a poly filter in my filter .Do you think the poly filter could be absorbing the ammonia before it has chance to register on the test kit or could my clown just be hiding all this time

A clown isn't going to hide for three days...a healthy one that is.
Can you tell us more about the system? How long has it been set up? How long have you had the clown?

Hi thanks for your reply The tank has been set up for 4months .I only added the clown last week .the day before it vanished it stopped eating.have just tested again and ammonia and nitrite still zero

So, there was an ammonia source for that length of time? It sounds like there might not have been a bacteria build up in the tank. Even if it was cycled, without an ammonia source the bacteria would have begun to die off. Not detecting ammonia or nitrite at this point wouldn't even indicate a full die off if there was ammonia present for the time the fish was alive...
Another possibility would be how it was acclimated. If it wasn't drip acclimated to the tank, it could have been shocked when it was added to the system with different parameters.
How is the flow in the tank? If there isn't proper CO2 exchange, it could have been oxygen deprivation...

So, there was an ammonia source for that length of time? It sounds like there might not have been a bacteria build up in the tank. Even if it was cycled, without an ammonia source the bacteria would have begun to die off. Not detecting ammonia or nitrite at this point wouldn't even indicate a full die off if there was ammonia present for the time the fish was alive...
Another possibility would be how it was acclimated. If it wasn't drip acclimated to the tank, it could have been shocked when it was added to the system with different parameters.
How is the flow in the tank? If there isn't proper CO2 exchange, it could have been oxygen deprivation...

Thanks sniperhank ,No there has never been an ammonia source that's why I'm thinking as it's still reading zero ammonia the fish could still be alive ,I think you misunderstood ,although my test kit is reading zero ammonia I was wondering if there was actually ammonia in the tank but it was not showing on the test due to the poly filter absorbing it what do you think I'm at a loss but I don't want to tear my reef down if I can possibly help it

Sorry but ive never had a clown hide for that long i think it might be dead in the rock work hopefully im wrong

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk

How did you cycle the tank?

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk

I agree if there was no ammonia continually being added the tank over that four months (usually done by adding fish) the bacteria would have died leaving the tank uncycled.

Hi I wouldn't be concerned about your tank not being cycled after 4months of water in. Has your hand ever been in the water? Congratulations you've introduced bacteria for this process to begin... I don't understand why we're still trying to establish if the tank is cycled. He said no ammonia no nitrite. Yes there was an ammonia source... there's no need to ever buy a product to seed a cycle or let a raw shrimp decompose. Just un-needed. Like I've mentioned before, to cycle your tank add water and rock and wait. done done done. The idea that the bacteria colony would die is false.

Do you have a lid? Check behind the tank, did it jump? Pretty common for clown fish.

Other than that acclimation shock from salinity change. Or sick fish but probably one of first two.

Back
Top Bottom