Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Missing clown

Havnt seen my clown for 3days I think it could be dead in the live rock somewhere .my ammonia test is coming up zero but I have a poly filter in my filter .Do you think the poly filter could be absorbing the ammonia before it has chance to register on the test kit or could my clown just be hiding all this time

Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A clown isn't going to hide for three days...a healthy one that is.
Can you tell us more about the system? How long has it been set up? How long have you had the clown?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi thanks for your reply The tank has been set up for 4months .I only added the clown last week .the day before it vanished it stopped eating.have just tested again and ammonia and nitrite still zero
Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So, there was an ammonia source for that length of time? It sounds like there might not have been a bacteria build up in the tank. Even if it was cycled, without an ammonia source the bacteria would have begun to die off. Not detecting ammonia or nitrite at this point wouldn't even indicate a full die off if there was ammonia present for the time the fish was alive...
Another possibility would be how it was acclimated. If it wasn't drip acclimated to the tank, it could have been shocked when it was added to the system with different parameters.
How is the flow in the tank? If there isn't proper CO2 exchange, it could have been oxygen deprivation...
Old 07-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So, there was an ammonia source for that length of time? It sounds like there might not have been a bacteria build up in the tank. Even if it was cycled, without an ammonia source the bacteria would have begun to die off. Not detecting ammonia or nitrite at this point wouldn't even indicate a full die off if there was ammonia present for the time the fish was alive...
Another possibility would be how it was acclimated. If it wasn't drip acclimated to the tank, it could have been shocked when it was added to the system with different parameters.
How is the flow in the tank? If there isn't proper CO2 exchange, it could have been oxygen deprivation...
Old 07-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Missing clown

Thanks sniperhank ,No there has never been an ammonia source that's why I'm thinking as it's still reading zero ammonia the fish could still be alive ,I think you misunderstood ,although my test kit is reading zero ammonia I was wondering if there was actually ammonia in the tank but it was not showing on the test due to the poly filter absorbing it what do you think I'm at a loss but I don't want to tear my reef down if I can possibly help it
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Sorry but ive never had a clown hide for that long i think it might be dead in the rock work hopefully im wrong

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It just sounds like the tank was never cycled and it died from ammonia/nitrite poisoning.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
How did you cycle the tank?

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2015, 03:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree if there was no ammonia continually being added the tank over that four months (usually done by adding fish) the bacteria would have died leaving the tank uncycled.

Tags
clown, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com