missing clown fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey to put it short I'm missing a clownfish. I have a Kent marine 94l UK. I have looked around all the rock and even pulled the filter system apart. Can't find him so I am assuming he has died ok I can deal with the loss but still he should be in there still the only scavengers I have that could eat him once he dies is a emerald crab cleaner shrimp or any hermits but my thinking is if it was any of them then the would be parts of the carcass floating around etc. Now I have a small algae problem so I bought a sea hair to sort the problem and after he was on this certain rock I could here loads of clicking like a pistol shrimp. I'm not certain a small pistol shrimp would be able to eat a clownfish whole so I'm starting to worries that is a Manish shrimp. So I pulled the piece of live rock out and dangled it above a bucket of tank water to see if he will come out. I have never seen him only herd the clicking so I can't grantees I had the right rock is there any other way I can try and find where he is and how to catch him. A Manish shrimp is the only reason I can think of for the missing fish. Oh I also have a minstrel bleeny and a prawn goby and one more clownfish stocked atm. The is also a larger yellow bleeny but he was a hitchicker and am planning on taking him back as he has been stressing the clownfish and the other bleeny that's in the tank. And help would be appreciated

Well I had a clownfish die on me and I actually watched my hermit crabs and my coral banded shrimp make it totally disappear in less then an hour...I think you underestimate hermit crabs they were fighting for it until it was completely gone...I mean they left nothing at all

Humm yea maby I only have a few small ones so didn't think they would do thatmuch lol. still doesn't explain the clicking lol the fish I happy to put a lid o at least I know there is not a rotting fish in there somewhere lol

Chances are they ate it all and about the clicking maybe u need to sit and watch under moon light see what forms of life pop out at night maybe a few hours after your moon light switches on

Not a problem keep us informed and try to catch a pic if anything pops out

Could try catching it with a glass tilted on its side and piece of food at the bottom. When it goes in to get the food, the glass is too slippery to get back out. If its a pistol, I would keep it. If its a mantis, I would take it to the LFS, but some people make its own tank for it. Good luck!

Yea trapping would work but first try to get a visual of it in order to Id it

The glass trap seems like 2 birds, 1 stone to me: ID and catch. You may or may not be able to actually get a visual of whatever it is. :)

Yea I suppose and if he wants to keep it he can just set it free

My guess is the hermit crabs, like someone said up there. Don't underestimate them. My flame angel like to lay on the sand bed and live rock while night, woke up, hermit crabs shredded him. Poor guy... :(

Yea he came on a puls coral I got. Lol hiding in a hole like they do lol would of been a touch if he wermt a pain in the *** keeps on nipping at all my fish n is a ***** to try n catch lol

Back
Top Bottom