Mixed Damsel Reef.. Opinions..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess you could call my tank a damsel only I got 2 occ clowns azure damsel and 3 blue green chromis haha

I'm into it. I love damsels, on the wild reef they are certainly a dominate species. I always have several yellow tails in my reef. They are sweetie pies compared to the 12" long engineer goby and the other fish I have. I believe the key will be lots of escape holes and lots of damsels.

I even have a purple Dottyback that asks permission to cruise the front part of the reef. The "little" fish get no respect. The trigger laughs at them, so do the big tangs and the maroon clowns make it plain that they take nonsense from nobody.

Last edited:
I'm into it. I love damsels, on the wild reef they are certainly a dominate species. I always have several yellow tails in my reef. They are sweetie pies compared to the 12" long engineer goby and the other fish I have. I believe the key will be lots of escape holes and lots of damsels.

I even have a purple Dottyback that asks permission to cruise the front part of the reef. The "little" fish get no respect. The trigger laughs at them, so do the big tangs and the maroon clowns make it plain that they take nonsense from nobody.

Awesome.. thats good to hear greg, I was thinking of getting a mated pair of maroons off a buddy of mine. Any other d amsels in there? Or all yellow tails?

Not at this time. There are 5 yellow tails and the clowns which are all damsels. The clowns can be among the meanest of them.

i think i would have to have maroons if i got mixed damsels in the tank though, that way they wouldnt get picked on. i think im gonna get a small pack of 5 or 7 yellow tails and just yellow tails, i would love some 3 strip damsels but i think it would offset the dynamic of the yellow tails keeping order amongst eachother :ermm:

I have observed that clowns only do a hit and run and If they are only hosting to protect them. They don't chase one like the angels do. I think you will be missing something without the 3 stripes. Their color contrast are more pleasing to your tank.

I have observed that clowns only do a hit and run and If they are only hosting to protect them. They don't chase one like the angels do. I think you will be missing something without the 3 stripes. Their color contrast are more pleasing to your tank.

true, but will 7 yellow tails and 3 3-stripe damsels be a problem because that makes 10 and i thought the guidline was to keep an odd number?

Once you get beyond 3-5 it doesn't matter. The idea is to spread the abuse out over multiple fish.

true, very true.. i guess i was caught up in the od number thing, i originally wanted 10 and 5 but thought 9 and 3 would be better :banghead:

I say go for it as well. I did the same with clowns. Same family of fish. Each week they pick one each other at random. It's pretty funny. But nothing bad. I have 6 total.

I say go for it as well. I did the same with clowns. Same family of fish. Each week they pick one each other at random. It's pretty funny. But nothing bad. I have 6 total.

So you have 6 of the same species of clown? Or a mix?

1 clarki
1 tomatoe
1 maroon
1 black ocellaris
1 standard ocellaris
1 blood red ocellaris

Everyone gets along fine as they do in the wild.

One yellow tang
Two small damsels
Mandarin

The rest corals.

Blaa blah blaaa.. I'm not here for the tang police. I'm not going to even entertain this. All my fish are small and everyone is happy. By the time my tang gets too big I will have him in a 150g. But until then everything in my tang is great. Everything is growing well, all fish are eating well, no fish are stressed. Jeez. Why is it that when someone mentions yellow tang the cops gotta come out?

Blaa blah blaaa.. I'm not here for the tang police. I'm not going to even entertain this. All my fish are small and everyone is happy. By the time my tang gets too big I will have him in a 150g. But until then everything in my tang is great. Everything is growing well, all fish are eating well, no fish are stressed. Jeez. Why is it that when someone mentions yellow tang the cops gotta come out?

It's not just the tang. I'm glad he will get a bigger tank, but 6 clowns, a tang, dragonette, and two damsels? You must have a heck of a filtration system and have a crazy wc schedule to keep up with these guys!

Back
Top Bottom