Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFish View Post
I had a large tank with all Damsels and Chromis-my only problem ever was the yellow tails. It was a nice active tank.
what problems did you have?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess you could call my tank a damsel only I got 2 occ clowns azure damsel and 3 blue green chromis haha

Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mixed Damsel Reef.. Opinions..!

I'm into it. I love damsels, on the wild reef they are certainly a dominate species. I always have several yellow tails in my reef. They are sweetie pies compared to the 12" long engineer goby and the other fish I have. I believe the key will be lots of escape holes and lots of damsels.

I even have a purple Dottyback that asks permission to cruise the front part of the reef. The "little" fish get no respect. The trigger laughs at them, so do the big tangs and the maroon clowns make it plain that they take nonsense from nobody.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I'm into it. I love damsels, on the wild reef they are certainly a dominate species. I always have several yellow tails in my reef. They are sweetie pies compared to the 12" long engineer goby and the other fish I have. I believe the key will be lots of escape holes and lots of damsels.

I even have a purple Dottyback that asks permission to cruise the front part of the reef. The "little" fish get no respect. The trigger laughs at them, so do the big tangs and the maroon clowns make it plain that they take nonsense from nobody.
Awesome.. thats good to hear greg, I was thinking of getting a mated pair of maroons off a buddy of mine. Any other d amsels in there? Or all yellow tails?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mixed Damsel Reef.. Opinions..!

Not at this time. There are 5 yellow tails and the clowns which are all damsels. The clowns can be among the meanest of them.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Not at this time. There are 5 yellow tails and the clowns which are all damsels. The clowns can be among the meanest of them.
i think i would have to have maroons if i got mixed damsels in the tank though, that way they wouldnt get picked on. i think im gonna get a small pack of 5 or 7 yellow tails and just yellow tails, i would love some 3 strip damsels but i think it would offset the dynamic of the yellow tails keeping order amongst eachother
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have observed that clowns only do a hit and run and If they are only hosting to protect them. They don't chase one like the angels do. I think you will be missing something without the 3 stripes. Their color contrast are more pleasing to your tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I have observed that clowns only do a hit and run and If they are only hosting to protect them. They don't chase one like the angels do. I think you will be missing something without the 3 stripes. Their color contrast are more pleasing to your tank.
true, but will 7 yellow tails and 3 3-stripe damsels be a problem because that makes 10 and i thought the guidline was to keep an odd number?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Once you get beyond 3-5 it doesn't matter. The idea is to spread the abuse out over multiple fish.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Once you get beyond 3-5 it doesn't matter. The idea is to spread the abuse out over multiple fish.
true, very true.. i guess i was caught up in the od number thing, i originally wanted 10 and 5 but thought 9 and 3 would be better

Tags
damsel, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com