Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mixed Damsel Reef.. Opinions..!

so ive been tossing around the idea of doing a damsel only stock in my reef tank, i know what you all are thinking.. why in the world would i do this when there are so many other beautiful fish that i could have in my tank and its a horrible idea.. i get it.. but i want an extremely active tank and ive read alot of success stories with yellow tail damsels and mixed damsels and chromis in a large tank so why not.. ive had terrible luck with tangs, angels, and butterflies in the past and im pretty fed up with big expensive pretty fish.. now i just want some opinions from you guys as too what you think of the idea as far as the concept.. please dont try to steer me in the other direction because im already pretty fixated on doing this.. thanks again guys

Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It would be nice, if you could get all of them to live in harmony.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally like damsels I have an azure in my 55 and his colours are amazing he is active and isn't aggressive
Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That video didn't load for me the first time, but now after seeing it, I think that tank looks like a fresh water tank with corals.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb View Post
I personally like damsels I have an azure in my 55 and his colours are amazing he is active and isn't aggressive
ive had a yellow tail in my 29g reef with a hosting pair of oc clowns and he was not aggressive at all either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
That video didn't load for me the first time, but now after seeing it, I think that tank looks like a fresh water tank with corals.
if you bump the resolution up you can see theyre damsels, and its a saltwater tank with coral ornaments
Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not a bad idea at all. Increasing the number of fish can distribute the bullying and minimize it to each one. You just have to keep in mind that although damsels are pretty hardy they also produce more waste. If you intend to have them in a reef tank with corals, you do need a lot of filtering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

if you bump the resolution up you can see theyre damsels, and its a saltwater tank with coral ornaments
Yes, I know it is a reef tank, but my point is, the fish are as boring as fresh water.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Not a bad idea at all. Increasing the number of fish can distribute the bullying and minimize it to each one. You just have to keep in mind that although damsels are pretty hardy they also produce more waste. If you intend to have them in a reef tank with corals, you do need a lot of filtering.
im running dual taotronics 120w dimmable leds, 2 hydor koralia 425s just for surface agitation, a bubble magus curve 5 in a 30g sump, 4" filter sock changed out weekly, 10g water changes bi-weekly, 4 huge clumps of chaeto, 2 huge colonies of red macro algae, 2 bags of chemi pure elite, and an eheim 1262 return plus pods GALORE.. what do you guys think about my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yes, I know it is a reef tank, but my point is, the fish are as boring as fresh water.
to each his own i guess, i loved freshwater but got bored with it challenge wise.. but i get your point though..
Old 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone else? I can place the order today with my lrs..
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go for it. I also added 4 3-stripes to join my yellow tail dotted and blue chromis on my 60 gal. It may be boring on challenge but they are fun to watch with more activities in the tank. Each one would briefly chase one another and calm down. If I had a bigger tank, school fish like blue green chromis is what I have in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damsel, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com