Mixed Damsel Reef.. Opinions..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so ive been tossing around the idea of doing a damsel only stock in my reef tank, i know what you all are thinking.. why in the world would i do this when there are so many other beautiful fish that i could have in my tank and its a horrible idea.. i get it.. but i want an extremely active tank and ive read alot of success stories with yellow tail damsels and mixed damsels and chromis in a large tank so why not.. ive had terrible luck with tangs, angels, and butterflies in the past and im pretty fed up with big expensive pretty fish.. now i just want some opinions from you guys as too what you think of the idea as far as the concept.. please dont try to steer me in the other direction because im already pretty fixated on doing this.. thanks again guys (y)

I personally like damsels I have an azure in my 55 and his colours are amazing he is active and isn't aggressive :)

That video didn't load for me the first time, but now after seeing it, I think that tank looks like a fresh water tank with corals.

I personally like damsels I have an azure in my 55 and his colours are amazing he is active and isn't aggressive :)

ive had a yellow tail in my 29g reef with a hosting pair of oc clowns and he was not aggressive at all either.

That video didn't load for me the first time, but now after seeing it, I think that tank looks like a fresh water tank with corals.

if you bump the resolution up you can see theyre damsels, and its a saltwater tank with coral ornaments (y)

Not a bad idea at all. Increasing the number of fish can distribute the bullying and minimize it to each one. You just have to keep in mind that although damsels are pretty hardy they also produce more waste. If you intend to have them in a reef tank with corals, you do need a lot of filtering.

Not a bad idea at all. Increasing the number of fish can distribute the bullying and minimize it to each one. You just have to keep in mind that although damsels are pretty hardy they also produce more waste. If you intend to have them in a reef tank with corals, you do need a lot of filtering.

im running dual taotronics 120w dimmable leds, 2 hydor koralia 425s just for surface agitation, a bubble magus curve 5 in a 30g sump, 4" filter sock changed out weekly, 10g water changes bi-weekly, 4 huge clumps of chaeto, 2 huge colonies of red macro algae, 2 bags of chemi pure elite, and an eheim 1262 return plus pods GALORE.. what do you guys think about my setup?

Yes, I know it is a reef tank, but my point is, the fish are as boring as fresh water.

to each his own i guess, i loved freshwater but got bored with it challenge wise.. but i get your point though.. :(

Last edited:
Go for it. I also added 4 3-stripes to join my yellow tail dotted and blue chromis on my 60 gal. It may be boring on challenge but they are fun to watch with more activities in the tank. Each one would briefly chase one another and calm down. If I had a bigger tank, school fish like blue green chromis is what I have in mind.

Go for it. I also added 4 3-stripes to join my yellow tail dotted and blue chromis on my 60 gal. It may be boring on challenge but they are fun to watch with more activities in the tank. Each one would briefly chase one another and calm down. If I had a bigger tank, school fish like blue green chromis is what I have in mind.

Any pics of the tank? Whats the tank stock like? Reef or fowlr?

My tank is on the link below but it was taken 6 months ago. I just added the damsels a month ago. Yellow tang and blue tang are peaceful together with flame angel and the rests.

I've seen a number of "colonies" of damsels while diving. They seem to get along in groups in the wild

. If it works everyone will pick on everyone a little bit.

I'd say if the bio load isn't too great to add them all at once or in schools like all the three stripes at once and then all the blue devils etc at once so that the established fish forget who to be mad at

If it does not work you are only out $40 :)

I've seen a number of "colonies" of damsels while diving. They seem to get along in groups in the wild

. If it works everyone will pick on everyone a little bit.

I'd say if the bio load isn't too great to add them all at once or in schools like all the three stripes at once and then all the blue devils etc at once so that the established fish forget who to be mad at

If it does not work you are only out $40 :)

Exactly lol

My blue devil was first and picking on dotted when introduced. After adding the four 3-striped damsels the blue devil is now being picked by the bigger one and looks they are all just playing around.

My blue devil was first and picking on dotted when introduced. After adding the four 3-striped damsels the blue devil is now being picked by the bigger one and looks they are all just playing around.

well thats good to hear, im thinking about 9 yellow tails, 6 talbots, and 3 3-stripes.. thoughts?

I had a large tank with all Damsels and Chromis-my only problem ever was the yellow tails. It was a nice active tank.

Back
Top Bottom