Mixed Reef Stock Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I have kept salt water fish for some time, I am a novice when it comes to corals. I have several questions. First should the corals be introduced before the bulk of the fish stock after the cycle or later? Secondly I would like suggestions on the best beginner lps and sps corals to begin with and any supplements required. I am using Red Sea Reef Pro mix. My lighting system was based on coral needs.

Current stock moving from my fowlr tank is:
1 Jewel Damsel, 1 Yellow Tale Damsel, 1 Marroon Clown, 1 Purple Psuedochromis. Beefed up Clean up Crew.

Proposed fish to be added to the 72 gal bow front with total water volume of sump and 4 gallons in the skimmer approximately 90 gallons, are:
1 Flame Angel to be added last, 5 blue/green Chromis to be added first, 1 Two Spot Bristletooth Tang, Possibly 1 McCasker Flasher Wrasse not sure if compatable with the Psuedochromis yet,

2 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp.
1 Bulb Anemone added about 4-6 months in.

Corals When and what? Frags or not?

You most likely won't need to add supplements as long as you are doing weekly water changes. You can add most corals after the cycle.
Some sps like Acropora i'd wait on but montipora is very easy, as well as Pocillopora and Seriatopora.

Most LPS should be fine. Most LPS don't require very strong lighting, so be careful not to cook them.
Don't buy anything that's not photosynthetic, except for maybe sun corals or Dendrophyllia, which you can target feed.

Frags if you want, colonies if you can afford it. I like frags. It's cool to watch them grow into mature colonies.

The scarlet or blood cleaners don't come out much IME. I would go with the skunks. They are more active.

Any reason why you don't want any soft corals?

I intend on getting soft corals later. I thought it would be prudent to cut my teeth on less difficult animals at first. I have lighting that will support both lps and sps corals and will eventually do both.

Because of work schedules weekly water changes while not impossible will be problematic. Are there exceptable alternative maintenance schedules that will be satisfactory?

Right now my fowlr gets a 20% water change every 4 weeks with no problems. I never have a nitrate problem with this tank. PH is a constant 8.2. I understand this schedule will not work well for corals but what are my alternatives if any? Supplements? If so which ones?

I always found things like star polyps and octocorals to be the easiest to cultivate. No supplements needed with good reef salt and a modest number of corals. I think you might want to consider the additional work a reef will cause, as I have found you can't slack off very long without corals that took years to grow, going downhill fast.

In my experience the flame angel is not reef safe. Nearly wrecked my reef yrs ago. 4 years of not messing with my reef and then all of a sudden started munching on them.

I have that concern as well. I understand the Fisheri Angel is more suited to the reef tank but I am not overwhelmed by it esthetically. Would you suggest other pygmy angels or not.

That's not necessarily true. it's up to the fish, but i wouldn't classify any angel as 100% reef safe.

That's not necessarily true. it's up to the fish, but i wouldn't classify any angel as 100% reef safe.

I did some quick research and understand that the genicanthus (I think I spelled that correct) class of angels are as reef safe as they get but they are larger and well IMO not attractive. I also seem to find favor with the Flameback dwarf over the red flame angel as far as reef nipping is concerned. I prefer the red Flame Angel but also like the Flameback. I will probably go with the Flame and hope I get a cooperative one.

Ok I am over it with the angels. I may add one like a Potters as the last addition later if I want to take a chance but for now I am striking them from my stock list for this mixed reef tank and will get a pair of Fire Gobys.

I have had most of them one time or the other. The coral beauty is probably the safest. My flame angels have been good citizens, but I have heard enough stories to make them a maybe.

Back
Top Bottom