Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
The balance between blue and white is more cosmetic, so dial in what looks good to you. Make any adjustments slowly if you already have some SPS. Water changes are the first line of defense from phosphates using RO/DI water. Many folks, including me, use a mixture of things to further reduce it, like GFO and products like Purigen. I don't tend to go with more aggressive methods and like using organic binding agents like these. My algae scrubber/skimmer only pushes my phosphates to .4 ppm, so I use GFO and Purigen to get it down under .05 ppm. I have a very large coral and fish bio load, so I have to be pretty thorough to grow SPS in the system, but it all works. BRS sells a inexpensive reactor for these products.
With LEDs you have options for your par which is a big advantage. They can be cranked up to help bring more par to the bottom. Sps is very temperamental. I lost two or three frags while the others took off right next to them.
Weekly water changes and a Gfo reactor will help stop the phosphates from rising and if you are still having problems, try a refugium. It will help drastically especially with water quality. You have some good things going for you so maybe just some tweaking and fine tuning. I actually use the BRS reactor as Greg said above and it works wonderfully. No problems and very affordable. If you were running one before maybe you could just hook it back up and start from there. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok I plan to turn up the blues slowly. On the phosphates I do have a sponge filter just before the return pump can I take that out could that cause phosphates? I am running a fuge. On the first chamber is the skimmer and heater then second chamber I have rock a little sand and chaeto then another chamber that has the sponge and then its the return pump and top off float.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea213 View Post
Ok I plan to turn up the blues slowly. On the phosphates I do have a sponge filter just before the return pump can I take that out could that cause phosphates? I am running a fuge. On the first chamber is the skimmer and heater then second chamber I have rock a little sand and chaeto then another chamber that has the sponge and then its the return pump and top off float.

Thanks
I would take out the sponge and go with live rock if there is room. If not I would def get rid of the sponge, seems to be the problem. What is your maintenance schedule like? How often are you doing water changes and such??
Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #14

I use to do about every 3 weeks 40gals but now thats slowed down do to price of salt was geeting rc for 39 for 200gal box now it like 69 so mighy go back to plain instant ocean since I dont need the extra alk cal mag in my salt since the reactor does that for me. What do u think? Im self employed so I got to watch what I spend if you know what I mean
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I use to do about every 3 weeks 40gals but now thats slowed down do to price of salt was geeting rc for 39 for 200gal box now it like 69 so mighy go back to plain instant ocean since I dont need the extra alk cal mag in my salt since the reactor does that for me. What do u think? Im self employed so I got to watch what I spend if you know what I mean
No I get you, it's tough sometimes. I would start with removing the sponge and adding the Gfo. Does your cheato grow relatively fast? Also how big is your tank?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #16

It grows ok not to fast but it does tank is 180gal pen with adhi sump and evo 400 skimmer I have 2 mp40 run on one side and 2 other cheap pumps on the other side. Theres about 400lbs live rock in the tank at the moment close to that in live sand.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It grows ok not to fast but it does tank is 180gal pen with adhi sump and evo 400 skimmer I have 2 mp40 run on one side and 2 other cheap pumps on the other side. Theres about 400lbs live rock in the tank at the moment close to that in live sand.
Oh man, I was thinking you had a much smaller set-up. With that much live rock and water volume, I'm starting to really wonder what your source of phosphate can be. Did you test your top off water? It may be the source. Also how often do you feed?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #18

I have a tds meter on my rodi and it reads zero. I feed frozen twice a week and flake daily. I tried everyother day on flake made no change
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I have a tds meter on my rodi and it reads zero. I feed frozen twice a week and flake daily. I tried everyother day on flake made no change
Make sure your rinsing the frozen with ro water, also flakes tend to add a lot of phosphates and your feeding then daily.. I would cut back on those a lot
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you mix your own saltwater or buy it from a lfs?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com