Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

mixed tank not growing

Any one have any ideas why my tank isn't really growing? The tank is 3yrs old all the same corals a mixed of sps and lps. I run leds and a cal reactor nothing flex's and been stable since setup. None of my sps plate out or grow up they stay the same. My levels are below. As for as par the leds blues are 271 at surface and 32 on the sand bed and whites are 100 and 22. I use reef crystals for salt.

Sal 1.025
Cal 400
Alk 12dkh
Phos .38
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.2
Mag 1375

Thanks,

Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea213 View Post
Any one have any ideas why my tank isn't really growing? The tank is 3yrs old all the same corals a mixed of sps and lps. I run leds and a cal reactor nothing flex's and been stable since setup. None of my sps plate out or grow up they stay the same. My levels are below. As for as par the leds blues are 271 at surface and 32 on the sand bed and whites are 100 and 22. I use reef crystals for salt.

Sal 1.025
Cal 400
Alk 12dkh
Phos .38
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.2
Mag 1375

Thanks,
I know that sps corals hate phosphates. Your phosphates are pretty high... I would say that is your problem... Do you use rodi water?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #3

I do use rodi water. I tried awhile back gfo and could only gdt them down to .33 and I dont over feed.i dont have algae growning in the the tank. Temp on tank is 78 all the time should I increase it to 79 or 80?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I do use rodi water. I tried awhile back gfo and could only gdt them down to .33 and I dont over feed.i dont have algae growning in the the tank. Temp on tank is 78 all the time should I increase it to 79 or 80?
Have you checked your filters or replaced them in a while on your rodi system? Your temperature is perfect. Okay there is an option I know about. It is a gamble IMO and its called Zeo Spur 2... It helps with coloration of corals but can make corals that are "stuck" from growing get back on track and grow... I honestly would check where your getting the phosphates first before the Zeo Spur 2 is recommended
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #5

I wash them everytime I clean the reactor since they dont make a replacement for the unit.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I wash them everytime I clean the reactor since they dont make a replacement for the unit.
That might be your problem... You should see if you could check the TDS of your rodi water... Also do research on the Zero Spur 2 stuff!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your par seems way to low for sps a barely good for lps.. Soft should be ok
Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22 View Post
Your par seems way to low for sps a barely good for lps.. Soft should be ok
I agree. The phosphate levels need to be lower, like below .1 ppm for best SPS growth. Also, PAR for most LPS is 200-300 and most SPS is 200 and way up to 600 or higher. You have light enough for soft corals and some LPS up at the top.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Ok whats good for keeping the phos down. I can turn up my lights what should the whites and blue be both the same, one more than the other? These are 200w lights at 2 watt each
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The balance between blue and white is more cosmetic, so dial in what looks good to you. Make any adjustments slowly if you already have some SPS.

Water changes are the first line of defense from phosphates using RO/DI water.

Many folks, including me, use a mixture of things to further reduce it, like GFO and products like Purigen. I don't tend to go with more aggressive methods and like using organic binding agents like these. My algae scrubber/skimmer only pushes my phosphates to .4 ppm, so I use GFO and Purigen to get it down under .05 ppm. I have a very large coral and fish bio load, so I have to be pretty thorough to grow SPS in the system, but it all works. BRS sells a inexpensive reactor for these products.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com