Mixing CC with LS????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 55 gal FO tank. 3 damsels, 2 Tangs and 1 trigger. I have CC in it right now, Im thinking of going with LS.But what about Mixing it together?
If not, whats the best method of removeing the CC and Replaceing it with LS? How do I keep my canister filter from sucking up the sand?

Thanks Ayesha for the article :D , but do the fish stay in or out the tank, if in how long can they survive without the filter running?

I got some CC in my tank with alot of LS also. I mixed it up a bit and it is OK. As for the filters, I left mine on when I put the sand in my tank.....helped clear the water faster. And man does it get cloudy.... :lol:

PiscesLou said:
but do the fish stay in or out the tank, if in how long can they survive without the filter running?
The fish can remain in the tank depending on how you remove the substrate. The least messy would be a 1-1½" diameter hose and syphon it out. That will take the detritus accumulation with it and prevent fouling of the water and filters. Keep the filtration and powerheads running during the removal process but turn off everything moving water when the sand goes in. If you use a plastic cup and lower the sand into the water to the bottom and gentley release it there will be much less clouding. The whole process shouldn't take much more than an hour or so on a 55 gal tank. Just be sure you have plenty of well aged SW at hand to replace what you remove.

Once the sand is in turn everything back on. There may be a little dust up but don't worry about it. Even if the tank becomes so clouded you can't see through it the fish will survive just fine. Be sure that if using any mechanical filtration, foam pads and carbons are rinsed out every few hours so the flow isn't affected.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you guys for the advice :D ! I put in LS today(about half the tank 3 in. high) without any problems, some cloudyness but slowly clearing up. thanks you much!

Back
Top Bottom