Mixing clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TmeLrd11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55gal tank with 2 ocelaris clowns and I was thinking of adding 2 black saddleback clowns. Anyone ever run into trouble with mixing these fish?

It's not really a good idea to have more than one pair of clowns in a tank, no matter the size pretty much. I had the most mellow of all clowns, oscellaris ones and two pairs could not live in a 6 foot 125g tank without killing each other. The orange pair nearly killed my B&W pair in a single day. They were fine for maybe a month or two tops and then one day the orange guys decided to attack almost to the death the other pair. It was brutal to watch but luckily I had another tank to put the beaten up pair into.

Some people "might" have success but I think the majority of people trying it find it not to work.

Good luck!

+1 to carey. The chances of this working are nearly zero, if it does work, play the lottery. Clowns don't play well together.;)

I have 3 different clown clowns in a tank, 1 false, 1 true, 1 snowflake , the true and false get along,but they have been together for about 5 years. Now, I bought the snow flake about five months ago,with the intention that it would hook up with the false, and i would take the true perc out( which was impossible) so he stayed in. When I put him in the true perc and the snow flake were fighting to the death, which went on for three days or so, and then something happened , I don't know what but they started leaving each other alone . Which bought the true and false closer together they started sleeping together, and on several accounts I've seen all three of them sleeping together.
Got to love clowns , funny fish..

I have 3 different clown clowns in a tank, 1 false, 1 true, 1 snowflake , the true and false get along,but they have been together for about 5 years. Now, I bought the snow flake about five months ago,with the intention that it would hook up with the false, and i would take the true perc out( which was impossible) so he stayed in. When I put him in the true perc and the snow flake were fighting to the death, which went on for three days or so, and then something happened , I don't know what but they started leaving each other alone . Which bought the true and false closer together they started sleeping together, and on several accounts I've seen all three of them sleeping together.
Got to love clowns , funny fish..

They are truly "special" fish, but this is prob an exception to the rule, normally the third one dies.

Back
Top Bottom