Mixing Clownfish! plus Whats your favorite clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whats your favororite clown fish

• Total voters

philly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love all clown fish and i have a 90 gal. tank but i want 2 different types of clownfish, so im wondering if there are any types of clownfish that are compatible ?

I got away with mixing a true perc with a brown saddleback, the brown saddleback sometimes chases my perc, only if he is getting near the saddlebacks anemone. I wouldnt mix a maroon clown with any others cuz they are quite big and agressive towards other clowns, so if you plan on having 2 species definatley dont pick a maroon with another. Maroon clowns are also considered agressiv on drs. foster and smiths site on marine fish. As for the tomato, when they get older they get somewhat more agressive and territorial. I wouldnt see why the perc and the ocelaris wont get together, but you should ask the more experienced about those guys, considering I dont know as much as some people here :) But for sure I would stay away from the maroon, because of its agressiveness. I heard that they should only be kept with there kind, or they will fight till the death.

HTH, SWTeen

it also depends on how much rock you have in your tank and say if u have different anenomies for each.... if they have their own area they should be ok... but hes right about mixing a maroon... oh and introduce at the same time if at all possible... that will help

what 2 anemones do yo recomend that are brightly couloured. 1 is for the 2 true ocelaris, 1 is for the 2 true percula.

it also depends on how much rock you have in your tank and say if u have different anenomies for each.... if they have their own area they should be ok... but hes right about mixing a maroon... oh and introduce at the same time if at all possible... that will help
Ooh, that is not safe, if you mix diferent anemonies they will try and kill each other, not good at all to mix anemonies. It also is bad, because if on of you anemones die they might release a toxic poison into the tank. I would not take the chance of adding in 2 anemones.

Ooh, that is not safe, if you mix diferent anemonies they will try and kill each other, not good at all to mix anemonies. It also is bad, because if on of you anemones die they might release a toxic poison into the tank. I would not take the chance of adding in 2 anemones.
Well, I guess it would be ok if you put them on the oppposite side of tank, but I wouldnt do it considering I did it before and did not have good results. 90 gallon should be enough. Just make sure with the more experienced :wink:

sorry i wasnt a little more clear on that last one... yes if you are going to do that do so with extreme caution and do observe very well until ur anemonies are settled fairly well... ive seen mixing.... only in a big enough tank and with extreme cation and patience (and might i say research)

Rose bubble tip anenomes. they are awesome in color. and you shouldnt have any trouble putting a few of them in your tank...

how long has your tank been set up for? i wouldnt reccommend putting ANY anemone even ONE in a tank that is less than a year old. also what kind of lighting do you have? anemones need a lot of light.

if you are truely interested in keeping clowns and their host anemones, i would really reccommend getting the book "clownfish" by joyce wilkerson. the book contains tons of info on both clowns and anemones, including compatibility issues and host anemone issues.

i do agree with the bubble tip anemone suggestion, the BTA will host both true and false percs and is relativly easy to take care of, as far as pacific anemones go.

in captivity clowns will often host soft corals instead of an anemone, so you really dont have to risk putting two anemones in the same tank.

i really reccommend you check out that book first tho, youll be so glad you did.

HTH good luck

how long has your tank been set up for? i wouldnt reccommend putting ANY anemone even ONE in a tank that is less than a year old. also what kind of lighting do you have? anemones need a lot of light.

if you are truely interested in keeping clowns and their host anemones, i would really reccommend getting the book "clownfish" by joyce wilkerson. the book contains tons of info on both clowns and anemones, including compatibility issues and host anemone issues.

i do agree with the bubble tip anemone suggestion, the BTA will host both true and false percs and is relativly easy to take care of, as far as pacific anemones go.

in captivity clowns will often host soft corals instead of an anemone, so you really dont have to risk putting two anemones in the same tank.

i really reccommend you check out that book first tho, youll be so glad you did.

HTH good luck
I agree with nodoubt, you need a mature tank to have an anemone. If you like anemones that are just cool to look at and doesnt require lighting I would suggest a tube anemone, but they dont host clowns :cry: But they are cool to look at! :D

i want anomones that can host clownfish and that are very colourful, im getting a vho system before i get anemones

Back
Top Bottom