Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mixing Clowns

I know mixing clowns can be dangerous and to use caution when doing it, but I have a dilema..

Ever since I began saltwater I always wanted a pair of black and white perculas. But, every time I saw them they were too expensive. I was searching online the other night and came across a site that has them for a reasonable price. They are tank bred.

I have a 50 gal, more of a box-like than a long type, with a pair of tank bred true perculas. They were tiny when I bought them and are now close to medium size. Also in the tank is a yellow-headed sleeper gobie and a lawnmower blenny.

My question is with both pairs being tank bred and not too big, would they be ok in the same tank? Should I just buy one or buy and pair of black and white perculas to go with the other group? I don't know if it would be better to have just one black and white compared to the already paired perculas. I read that you can mix clowns better when they are tank bred compared to wild..

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would think that with a cube tank, it would be more difficult. Do you have alot of rock?

I think you may be pushing your luck with two pairs in that small/style of a tank, yet I do think a pair would be better than a single clown introduced as it will divide the aggression.

it will be a crap shoot for sure...best of luck to you!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I would think that with a cube tank, it would be more difficult. Do you have alot of rock?

I think you may be pushing your luck with two pairs in that small/style of a tank, yet I do think a pair would be better than a single clown introduced as it will divide the aggression.

it will be a crap shoot for sure...best of luck to you!
Thanks for the quick reply..

Theres 50 lbs of live rock in the tank.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
May work, but expect the worst. If you tank was longer I would say that you would be OK.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #5

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

SaltwaterFish.com says these can be mixed with other clowns. I keep hearing different opinions on if you should or should not mix.. I am seriously wanting to get a pair, but I just don't want any fighting or problems introducing them into the tank with the other two perculas.

If I get these, how many should I get to lessen the threat of fighting/ganging up?

Tags
clown, clowns, mixing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com