mixing clowns in a 90G reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just looking for opinions on mixing clowns in a 90G reef tank.

I've got two percs and would love to get two black-and-white false percs as well. Not too sure about conspecific aggression between the species.

As for other tank inhabitants: small hippo tank, yellow tank, watchman goby, royal gramma, various LPS, polyps, shrooms, and inverts (including CUC).

Bioload is not heavy at all, so that's not what I am concerned about. Just wondering if they would have enough room not to bicker too much.

i had almost all of those fish and a few more on a 75 and i was i think at the edge , i know that the hippo tang when it gets older will need alittle bit more space but it will be fine in a tank of that size IMO i might be wrong, also the yellow tang is good i know they need atleast a 75 gal

A 90g might be big enough to mix two pairs of clowns. You will for sure see the occasional squabble. It would help if you have two anemones in there on opposite sides of the tank.

People have gotten away with it but there is still a risk for the two pairs not getting along as well. Not the yes or no answer you were hoping for i'm sure. If the pair that is already there is hosting a spot on more or less one side of the tank you will probably have a better shot then if they hang out in the middle. Sorry i don't have a more conclusive answer.

You might get away with two different but you might not either. I have a 125 and my two different clowns fight like cat`s and dogs. Not to the point of death but they do squabble.

Last edited:
just a question what about if you add them at the same time, right now i have a pair of regular clowns on my qt but when my tank is ready ill love to have some black ones and if i do ill add them at the same time to my dt will that work or not???????? and my tank is 75 gal

Not the yes or no answer you were hoping for i'm sure.

I don't think that there are any yes or no answers in this hobby

The percs in the tank aren't hosting right now either. They just kind of swim about all over, with the hippo and yellow right alongside. I don't have any anemone in the tank right now as I have true percs in there and most of the anemone's that they will successfully host in are huge and can eat other fish....and that hippo tank doesn't seem too bright.

just a question what about if you add them at the same time, right now i have a pair of regular clowns on my qt but when my tank is ready ill love to have some black ones and if i do ill add them at the same time to my dt will that work or not???????? and my tank is 75 gal

I believe if you have a Few Anemone's in there to host you should be fine with them... But I would put them on both sides of the tank if you do that. I am thinking of getting some Picasso's for my 72G along with my Onyx Clowns.... But don't know what will happen until you try.

IMO, you are looking for a fight to the death of One or more of your clowns. It is almost impossible to have two animones that will stay put on either side of a tank. Tehy will move to a location of their liking. Bad idea!

Back
Top Bottom