Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome. Patience is a key thing in keeping a successful reef aquarium and something a lot of people don't have and try to shorten the waiting periods with media and other additives. Let it cycle through real good and give it a good 3 months before adding any corals. Start with softies and move up to LPS. I guess I'm assuming that your planning to do a reef though... Right?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes I am, I am going to have 2 clowns 1 cardinal 1 yellow tang 1 blue tang and 2 black & white clowns, I think that would be cool, I don't think I will be over populating, I want a lot of bubble tops, some mushrooms and that circular green coral that has reddish rims around the circles, do you know the one I'm trying to describe ?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bubble tops? Im assuming bubble coral? as far as the circular coral...? no idea, lol.. Perhaps a scolimia, acan of favia of sorts? if you can get a pic of what it is it could probably be identified
Old 05-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

Corals

Here are some of the corals I like, I hope I attached them correctly
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry, nothing attached
Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK, this morning I assembled and hung my Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer. I have the rock ready for the final clean up with my air compressor and will be putting it all in the curing can today. I've thought of a few questions that I am not sure of so here goes.

#1. How much wiggle room do I have on water temperature and salinity once I am up and running with fish? I am assuming 1.025 is the ideal temperature.

#2. Is it better to use the hinged glass lids that came with my tank, or should I have some 1/4" mesh screens made to fit? I'm thinking air here. Screens will lower the temp a degree or two.

#3. My rock will be 6 weeks cured over the 4th. of July week-end. When should I start my Aquarium cycle? And should I toss a shrimp in there too?

#4. This is my pump that I have in the curing tank right now along with one 1500 gph powerhead. Is that overkill for the curing process or should I use one or the other? Sicce Syncra 1 0 Silent 10 MT 250 GPH | eBay

This is the set of lights I was recommended by another guy on here, what are your thoughts on them for my coral reef? 2pcs 165W Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Grow Fish Reef Coral Marine | eBay

#5. These are the type of testers I am thinking about investing in, the only one I can't find that Hana makes is a magnesium checker. New Hanna Hi 700 Checker HC Ammonia Photometer HI700 Fresh Water | eBay

I'll more than likely have more questions. I really am feeling better about all this now that I have found you for advice. Thanks again, Jeff.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5225 View Post
OK, this morning I assembled and hung my Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer. I have the rock ready for the final clean up with my air compressor and will be putting it all in the curing can today. I've thought of a few questions that I am not sure of so here goes.

#1. How much wiggle room do I have on water temperature and salinity once I am up and running with fish? I am assuming 1.025 is the ideal temperature.

#2. Is it better to use the hinged glass lids that came with my tank, or should I have some 1/4" mesh screens made to fit? I'm thinking air here. Screens will lower the temp a degree or two.

#3. My rock will be 6 weeks cured over the 4th. of July week-end. When should I start my Aquarium cycle? And should I toss a shrimp in there too?

#4. This is my pump that I have in the curing tank right now along with one 1500 gph powerhead. Is that overkill for the curing process or should I use one or the other? Sicce Syncra 1 0 Silent 10 MT 250 GPH | eBay

This is the set of lights I was recommended by another guy on here, what are your thoughts on them for my coral reef? 2pcs 165W Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Grow Fish Reef Coral Marine | eBay

#5. These are the type of testers I am thinking about investing in, the only one I can't find that Hana makes is a magnesium checker. New Hanna Hi 700 Checker HC Ammonia Photometer HI700 Fresh Water | eBay

I'll more than likely have more questions. I really am feeling better about all this now that I have found you for advice. Thanks again, Jeff.

Ok let's see.. If your only doing fish, 1.023 is good and 1.026 for reef. Keeping them stable really isn't that hard, just make sure to top off the evaporates water with RODI everyday (or just get a ATO). Temp
Should be 78-82.. Stable is better but I've had some big swings when my ac and heater was out, and as I'm sure you know, living in Florida you can need both of those in the same week (or day??)

Go with the mesh, or you can use egg crate as well.

Throw in the shrimp whenever you start curing rock. Because you'll have filly cycled rock goin into your tank, you shouldn't have too much of a cycle in the tank, but I would throw another shrimp in it just to be safe. The sand bed will still need to colonize te BB.

The pump and lights are fine.

Your going to want to get something to test nitrate, nitrite, ph, alk and calc. Red Sea is affordable and pretty actuate.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's your reasoning on curing the rock outside the tank? It doesn't make much of a difference. You could cycle your tank WHILE curing your rock.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You cure out side the tank incase there is any phosphate leached by the rock, that way you don't fuel an algae bloom before you even get started
Old 06-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have the API Saltwater Master Test Kit. I just started the curing cycle, aside from replacing evaporation loss with freshwater, what testing schedule should I start?

Tags
instant ocean, mixing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com