Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Api is kind of crap IMO. I use it for ammonia, nitrite and ph.. Anything else I use Red Sea. You honestly don't REALLY need to test for anything unless your bored.. I believe you said you were curing for 6 weeks? If so just test the ammonia and nitrites and possibly ph during the last week or so. Testing for nitrates here and there would give you an idea of where you are at with your cycle because that's the final stage of the biological breakdown of ammonia.

Now that I'm thinking about it, you may want to do a water change half way through the cycle just to flush any nitrates/phosphates out of the system.. Might be overkill but it's something I would probably do.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And don't feel bad about buying api.. I made that same mistake too lol.. Red Sea is a little more expensive but so much more accurate.. Definitely a wise investment

Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Regular

what percentage of water do I need to change?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe 20% or so. Remember, I'm
Not saying this is necessary, but it's not a bad idea either
Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How's it going?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I'm going into my 2nd week of curing the rock, not doing much. I do have a question. When I get to the end of the cure, how much open time do I have with the rock before it must be submerged in the display tank? My concern is the substrate and when I add the live crushed coral. I have one Pukani rock a little bigger than a medicine ball, 2 a little bigger than a football, 2 foot balls and 2 nerf ball size pieces. I would like to aquascape on bare glass, add the crushed coral around the rocks, and THEN fill the tank with sea water. Rather than adding the rock to a full tank with substrate in place. It seems like I saw a video on youtube, and the guy said you should immediately transfer the rock from cure tank to display tank.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5225 View Post
Well, I'm going into my 2nd week of curing the rock, not doing much. I do have a question. When I get to the end of the cure, how much open time do I have with the rock before it must be submerged in the display tank? My concern is the substrate and when I add the live crushed coral. I have one Pukani rock a little bigger than a medicine ball, 2 a little bigger than a football, 2 foot balls and 2 nerf ball size pieces. I would like to aquascape on bare glass, add the crushed coral around the rocks, and THEN fill the tank with sea water. Rather than adding the rock to a full tank with substrate in place. It seems like I saw a video on youtube, and the guy said you should immediately transfer the rock from cure tank to display tank.
You don't get much time. I suggest filling the tank, putting the rock in, and then the substrate.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I was thinking of ways to convey the live crushed coral, making as little disturbance as possible, a tube is what I'm thinking. I'll rig up a Rube Goldberg funneling / hopper system of some kind, unless you have a better suggestion. Also, should I add say, 45-50 gals. of water ahead of time to let the cycle begin, or just add the water the day I am adding rock & substrate ?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Did you already buy the crushed coral? Most people that start out with crushed coral end up switching because it traps detritus and can cause nutrient issues in the tank.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 2 20lb bags, no big deal. I bought the crushed coral at the suggestion of the guy at Petland before I knew what a coral was. What do you suggest ?

Tags
instant ocean, mixing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com