Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is positioning critical ? I was going to place them high, facing downward at 45 degree angles on opposite ends as well as opposite sides of the tank (75L)

Old 06-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd put them low and point up instead or just straight across. Pointing down may cause havoc on your sandbed.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the tips, that's why you get the big money LOL
Old 06-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5225 View Post
Thanks for the tips, that's why you get the big money LOL

Wait we get paid for this . Some ones owes me a check . Glad to help, and feel free to ask any other questions that come up along the way.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Regular

we got side tracked again and I still don't know weather to run both powerheads at the same time, or do you run them independent of each other to simulate tides, with a controller ?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Jeff, you are making this waaaayyyyyy more complicated than it has to be or should be.
This is a new set-up, correct?
Than why waste time, $$$$, and effort on all the micro-managing bullcrap?

Set-up the tank, filtration, décor, etc the way you want in the tank, add water and let it do it's thing, simple and relatively brainless endeavor to get a new tank started.
You most certainly do not need to pre-cure dry rock outside of the tank, especially if it's a new set-up.
You really only need to cure it if it is of questionable source and strong possibility of dead organisms, BUT Hey! if you are cycling a new set-up, that can only help contribute to the initial ammonia levels.
Also don't worry about testing your water every day, it's a waste of test reagent. Test it once a week for the first few weeks while cycling, unless you're really bored. The only time/reason to test daily would be if you are doing a fish-in cycle.
Cycling a tank takes about 6-8 weeks, regardless of what the test numbers tell ya, and about a year before being "established".

All the science at our fingertips is nice and handy, but please don't put all this hoopla over common sense.
If you are starting a new set-up, just what the heck benefit do you think you are gaining by doing everything in separate containers and incrementally????
Old 06-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mixing Instant Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Jeff, you are making this waaaayyyyyy more complicated than it has to be or should be.
This is a new set-up, correct?
Than why waste time, $$$$, and effort on all the micro-managing bullcrap?

Set-up the tank, filtration, décor, etc the way you want in the tank, add water and let it do it's thing, simple and relatively brainless endeavor to get a new tank started.
You most certainly do not need to pre-cure dry rock outside of the tank, especially if it's a new set-up.
You really only need to cure it if it is of questionable source and strong possibility of dead organisms, BUT Hey! if you are cycling a new set-up, that can only help contribute to the initial ammonia levels.
Also don't worry about testing your water every day, it's a waste of test reagent. Test it once a week for the first few weeks while cycling, unless you're really bored. The only time/reason to test daily would be if you are doing a fish-in cycle.
Cycling a tank takes about 6-8 weeks, regardless of what the test numbers tell ya, and about a year before being "established".

All the science at our fingertips is nice and handy, but please don't put all this hoopla over common sense.
If you are starting a new set-up, just what the heck benefit do you think you are gaining by doing everything in separate containers and incrementally????

You cure dry rock outside of the tank incase it contains trapped phosphates. No need to start a huge algae bloom when you don't have to (high nitrate from the cycle + trapped phosphates = algae nightmare).

Op to your power head question, just point them at each other and turn them on. The korillias aren't capable of simulating the currents like your asking, you'd need a jaebo or vortech style pump for that.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Regular

Now I am really confused, I am a brand new rookie to the hobby, I am trying to get through the initial cycling steps etc. as I have been advised as well as learned from the 100s of youtube videos, now I am getting advice that is 180 from what I am doing. It's like anything else, once I have done it I'll have it, but first I have to get some experience. I was told I need to cure the rock separate to promote the BB growth in a dark place or container, now you're saying I'm spinning my wheels.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you don't have an ammonia source your not growing any bb. Curing dry rock is more to ensure that it's "clean" before adding it to your tank. If you were doing that to cycle the tank, then yes your spinning your wheels. If your ready to cycle, and your dry rock isn't leaching phosphates into your water then put the rock in and add an ammonia source to kick start the cycle, if not then keep doing what your doing and check your phosphate levels in the holding buckets.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 1 non cooked shrimp in the 17 gallons of water (1.024) in a 32 gal new trash can. I have my own RODI system so water is not an issue, so you're saying I can cycle my tank with the rock in as long as my PH levels are in check ?

Tags
instant ocean, mixing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com