Mixing Instant Ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tested the water in the trash can for po4 or to see if the cycles moving along?

Well, I only have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH, I thought po4 was phosphate. I'll get a phosphate test kit tomorrow

Word of advice, don't buy the api one. It's scale goes from 0 to .25 ppm, which is about 10x to high. Especially if your planning on a reef, invest in a higher quality kit. If your planning on a reef you should also look into getting tests for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, I would also replace the nitrate test with a better brand if your doing a reef.

You cure dry rock outside of the tank incase it contains trapped phosphates. No need to start a huge algae bloom when you don't have to (high nitrate from the cycle + trapped phosphates = algae nightmare).

Op to your power head question, just point them at each other and turn them on. The korillias aren't capable of simulating the currents like your asking, you'd need a jaebo or vortech style pump for that.

You can connect the korillias to a controller, timed power strip or wave maker to randomize their flow.

You can connect the korillias to a controller, timed power strip or wave maker to randomize their flow.

Yeah but there pretty much just on or off, they can't have there power adjusted or the different modes like the vortech and jaebos, at least not with that little smart wave they sell, never used a controller so not sure on that.

I thought so, see what I mean about getting conflicting advice ? It is aggravating to say the least.

I use them on a controller. A Reefkeeper. It does just turn them on and off, but that's worked fine for me for a very long time.

Everyone has an opinion. Some are better than others. The LFS and books tend to be the same way. Just keep participating and you'll figure it all out. In this hobby there are often more than one technique that can have similar outcomes.

Thanks for the intel, I have a 75L, should I run both PHs (1500s) at the same time, or set up a tide scenario alternating between the two running one at a time?

Everyone has an opinion. Some are better than others. The LFS and books tend to be the same way. Just keep participating and you'll figure it all out. In this hobby there are often more than one technique that can have similar outcomes.

Yup, just learn the basic biological principles involved and apply your own logic and common sense. ;)

The point about leaching phosphate from the rock I overlooked, but as far as the rest goes, if the phosphates are OK, just throw everything into the tank and let it do it's thang, man.:cool:

you are approaching it with far too much trepidation and apprehension.

Don't let all these differing opinions turn your head in a tizzy.
After about 40 years, the basics are always the same, the opinions about the "proper" and "right" way of doing things changes with the seasons, why I say become familiar with the biological process' involved and apply rational logic to the situation.

When the hobby gets to the point that you have to worry about minor fluctuations and how many micrograms of food a day you can feed, then it becomes work and not much fun, at least IMHO.

remember the guy who has had a reef running for over forty years with NO new fangled gizmos and gadgets and he cleaned his filter bed every 25 years, and he uses an UNDERGRAVEL FILTER!!!!!
OMG!! what is wrong with that man!!??

My point being, relax, it doesn't need to be as stressful and precarious as some members here make it out to be. (watch out for the arrogance)
Enjoy it and don't fret so much over such trivial things and you will enjoy the hobby much more for much longer. ;)

Your talking about Paul. He makes it look too easy. He also harvests from the ocean all the time, so he replenishes the aquariums bug life often. I am a few years behind him as my SW systems are nearing 25. You will figure out quickly the rhythms of your system.

you are doing the right thing by being on here and asking questions, I have way to many people come into my shop and say they need saltwater, I ask what there salinity is at and they look at me like I just asked them to solve a complex algorithm. There is a ton of conflicting advice out there but this is one of the best places I've found good, basic knowledge and is a great place to look when starting a reef tank.

With the korallias I would just run them at the same time.. Mess with them a little bit and see what type of flow you like.. Point them at each other, one up on down, one towards the back of the tank the other towards the front.. Just play with it.. Tinkering until you find the sugar spot is one of the fun parts about owning an aquarium ;)

I don't know where I got it my head I had 2 bags of crushed coral, I have 2 20lb. bags of Carib Sea Arag-Alive Live Aragonite Reef Sand. FCC Course. My tank bed is 18x48. I think I need 2 more bags, maybe 5. I got the course sand thinking about swirling current etc.

Back
Top Bottom