Mixing Instant Ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh.. If only I knew then what I know now.. I spent way to much money on things I thought I needed and now learned I didn't. There's a big learning curve but it gets easier. Browser through aa daily, ask questions, google things and you'll get there. I learned an absolute ton from this site and highly recommend it. You should make a tank build thread, I wish I had done it with my first tank!

Like we say to our clients sometimes... We'll get it if it takes every dollar you have lmao, seriously though, you're off to a good start, trying to make sure you get it going properly, love to see some progression pictures

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe I will do that. I'll have to get familiar with the ropes of this site. I started a log the day I fired up my BRS RO/DI system. I'm at ground zero right now. lol

Ahaha.. Working at an lfs I know exactly what your mean.. I'm sorry but I don't feel bad if you come in spending tons of money to fix your nitrate issue via media when I've told you over and over to stop topping off with tap water.. You are doing what I did in te begging and more than I've been recently surprised have done, and that's get online and do some research. Good job so far

Saturday when I broke out the 15 lb. bag of Instant Ocean salt mix I bought in January, the salt had hardened to the point I had to break it down using a butter knife. Not completely solid, sort of like Brown Sugar gets sitting in the cupboards. Anyway, is it still good to use?

It's a pain if your trying to measure out an exact amount when preparing a water change, but since your just curing rock you can just dump it in and let the power head have at it

Just toss a dead shrimp in the curing trash can (new) ?

I remember waaayyyy back when the advice was to pee in the tank. :blink:
It works. ;)

Also used to put pennies in the tank to control parasites, real pennies, not the fake crap they hand out as money now, but real copper pennies.:nono:
It works. ;)

plus I have to chuckle at the oxymoron; "dry live rock".
If it's dry, It's not "live" rock, it's just rock.

(no offense meant to the OP, just making an observation)

Tell me more about adding pennies to my rock curing can (32g) and any other "Old Hand Tips & Tricks" you might have.

Tell me more about adding pennies to my rock curing can (32g) and any other "Old Hand Tips & Tricks" you might have.

I wouldn't do it now, too many variables and it's hard to find real copper pennies anyway.
40 years ago there were only a couple of medications for saltwater, most copper based, so pennies was a helluva lot cheaper. But it is impossible to control the amount of copper and it is kind of hit & miss. But 40 years ago it was a viable alternative treatment.

Now peeing in the tank to start a cycle... sure, ammonia is ammonia and waste is waste, be it human or fish, but I wouldn't poop in the tank, let the fish do that.

Plus I have always done "fish in" cycling with no issues.
Just cycled the 30 gallon I have with 2 damsels, 5 hermits and a coral banded shrimp. All are doing fine and the shrimp has molted twice.

But I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to the hobby. Fish in cycling requires that you have an intimate knowledge concerning the cycle process and what to expect when and how the fish behave normally.

But you are in the right place to get information.:)

I forgot to mention earlier, I have 16 gallons of water in my 32g can w/lid that I'm curing the rock in, the salt is almost dissolved and the temp is a steady 79 with no heater. Will my 75L tank maintain 79 degrees as well once I fill it up ?

A tank is effected by the temp of the air around the tank. So that would depend on the normal temp around you, which would be relative to where you are in Florida. No matter what I'd want a heater just in case of a cold spell.
In terms of your salt chunk, it solidified because moisture got to the salt. This is generally something you want to avoid, but should be ok.
Were you trying to cure your rock in freshwater and just now added the salt?

No, I haven't added the rock yet. I started mixing yesterday, this evening I'm going to add the rock and let it soak for 6 weeks.

so your just south of tampa? Im only a couple hours north of you.. Wish I had my tank still going, Id hook you up with some frags. I'm hoping to have a nano set up soon with strictly designer zoa's so if I ever get that going, I'll let you know and send you some polyps

That would be too cool. I appreciate any help or advice you can lay on me, I'm really anxious to get this underway but I'm being patient. 6 weeks to go now and I should be close to buying my first clean up crew.

Back
Top Bottom