Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I did all my water levels checks, the pH level is 82, & the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all 0ppm. Finally my tank cleared up! I've got about 20lbs of live rock (which has some stuff growing on it), 5 snails, & bought a high output lighting fixture. What would be my next step? Am I ready to have any type of fish? How long would I have to wait before putting coral in? I really don't feel like stocking up on 50lbs of live rock ..
Besides that, my fishtank is looking really great so far

Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is your next step...

Cycle your salt tank

Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Besides that, my fishtank is looking really great so far
A statement like that and no pic to back it up? Come on now! lol just kidding but a pic would be great!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Get 50 pounds of base rock to go under your 2 pounds of LR. It will become LR within a few months. LR becomes your biological filter.

You have not cycled your tank yet so as Kurt pointed out you need to do that first. What else are you using for filtration besides the 20 pounds of LR?

Did you add the snails? If so, can you return them until your tanks completes the cycle?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Get 50 pounds of base rock to go under your 2 pounds of LR. It will become LR within a few months. LR becomes your biological filter.

You have not cycled your tank yet so as Kurt pointed out you need to do that first. What else are you using for filtration besides the 20 pounds of LR?

Did you add the snails? If so, can you return them until your tanks completes the cycle?
they are correct. you are going to end up killing a lot of creatures if you try to rush things.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With respect to the cloudy water: how did you mix your salt?

You shouldn't mix it with water in the tank. I have been using IO reef crystals and yes, when you first mix the stuff it is cloudy. I mix mine in a 33G garbage can and when you first add the salt it is cloudy. After a little while it will turn slightly milky and then perfectly clear. You need to mix your salt water outside the tank and leave it mixing with a powerhead and heater for about 24hours before adding it to your main tank.

Well, don't have to, but it helps
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO if you mixed the salt in the tank for the first time then yes it can be a bit cloudy not a big deal, it happens just don't do it when doing PWC (mix water in a separate container). Second please do cycle your tank before you add any live stock to it (I don't see how your tank cycled in 5 days). Third 20 lbs of live rock is great now just add another 30 of base rock. Last of all I don't recommended you start adding any corals until your tank is about 5 or 6 months and you start to see a trend of normalcy in your water parameters.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I added 40lbs of live rock, and bought a protein skimmer. Everything for my water levels are ok, I will probably do my first water change this coming Saturday. I have 2 denzels, so I am just curious on how to do a proper water change? At the fish store, the guy told me I could put in live corals in about a week or so. Also I am planning on selling my 2 denzels and buying 2 clown fish. Is there any kind of specific corals I should look into buying for the clown fish?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
This is your next step...

Cycle your salt tank
Read this, take the denzels (damsels?) back to the LFS and don't listen to that guy anymore.

Should be 6 months before any corals probably I'm thinking, waaay after the cycle is done.

How long has the tank been up for total?
Old 11-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
na..you can put corals in right after a proper cycle. i've done it many times. i completely agree that that LFS should not be trusted and they've given some false information.
and yes, denzel should not be in that tank right now...he was pretty good in "The Book of Eli" though!

Tags
cloud, cloudy, crystal, instant ocean, mixing, reef, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com