Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

mixing instant ocean reef crystal salt and still cloudy

hi there i just got a 50 gallon tank, got instant ocean reef crystal salt and started mixing, on my hydrometer it shows 1.023 but my water looks cloudy? is this normal cycling still, its been like this for 2 days now, and whats my next step? live rock and some crabs?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
your next step is live rock, but not crabs. you should buy at least 50 pounds. you should also purchase a refractometer. those swing arm hydrometers are not very accurate.

don't add any livestock until the tank is completely cycled (no present ammonia or nitrite). you'll also need salt water test kits.

that cloudy water will clear up.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You can get 50% base rock and 50% LR.

Do you have a sand substrate? You want to place the rocks on the glass and then add the sand, especially if you get any sand sifters in the future.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too had the same problem with one of the salt mixes do not remember which one it was but I switched over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt mix and had my water tested and all my levels have been perfect compared to the others that I have used in the past. It may be more expensive but it is worth it.
I also use Prime for my dechlorinator.

Mary
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is nothing wrong with your salt crystals. The IO brand does not cloud up the water unless it is not fully mixed.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you get a mix of base rock and live rock, does it matter how you stack it in the tank? Like live rock on the bottom with the base rock on top, or base on bottom? or all jumbled together? Just wondering for when I start my tank!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
When you get a mix of base rock and live rock, does it matter how you stack it in the tank? Like live rock on the bottom with the base rock on top, or base on bottom? or all jumbled together? Just wondering for when I start my tank!
Most people put the base rock on the bottom and the LR on top of it to give the appearance that it is all LR.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would place the rock so that it's most useful and functional.
what i mean by that is, you don't want a big pile with no character. take some time and place the pieces so that when you get done it looks good.

also, you should be concerned with flow being able to cut through the rock work and caverns and such for the fish to swim in and out of and hide in. lastly, you want as many places as possible to be able to place corals.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj204 View Post
hi there i just got a 50 gallon tank, got instant ocean reef crystal salt and started mixing, on my hydrometer it shows 1.023 but my water looks cloudy? is this normal cycling still, its been like this for 2 days now, and whats my next step? live rock and some crabs?
To address your first question, yes it is normal for salt mixes to be cloudy at first. With proper circulation, this should clear up in a few hours. However, if I am reading your post right, it looks like you may have mixed the salt in the tank. That's probably ok since there is nothing in the tank. Going forward though, you will need to mix your salt in a separate container so as not to kill your stock. ; ) As others have already pointed out, the next step could be to add rock if you are going reef or fowlr. If fish only, pick some hardy, inexpensive fish (damsels perhaps) and add them once the salinity, temp and ph is stable. GL!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFlake View Post
To address your first question, yes it is normal for salt mixes to be cloudy at first. With proper circulation, this should clear up in a few hours. However, if I am reading your post right, it looks like you may have mixed the salt in the tank. That's probably ok since there is nothing in the tank. Going forward though, you will need to mix your salt in a separate container so as not to kill your stock. ; ) As others have already pointed out, the next step could be to add rock if you are going reef or fowlr. If fish only, pick some hardy, inexpensive fish (damsels perhaps) and add them once the salinity, temp and ph is stable. GL!
You mean add the fish after the cycle is complete right? Because adding fish to an uncycled tank is IMO not an option. Putting a fish through that is no way to treat them. just my two cents

Tags
cloud, cloudy, crystal, instant ocean, mixing, reef, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com