Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
mixing instant ocean reef crystal salt and still cloudy

hi there i just got a 50 gallon tank, got instant ocean reef crystal salt and started mixing, on my hydrometer it shows 1.023 but my water looks cloudy? is this normal cycling still, its been like this for 2 days now, and whats my next step? live rock and some crabs?
__________________

__________________
aj204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
your next step is live rock, but not crabs. you should buy at least 50 pounds. you should also purchase a refractometer. those swing arm hydrometers are not very accurate.

don't add any livestock until the tank is completely cycled (no present ammonia or nitrite). you'll also need salt water test kits.

that cloudy water will clear up.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
 
cmor1701d's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 7,814
You can get 50% base rock and 50% LR.

Do you have a sand substrate? You want to place the rocks on the glass and then add the sand, especially if you get any sand sifters in the future.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
mwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 865
I too had the same problem with one of the salt mixes do not remember which one it was but I switched over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt mix and had my water tested and all my levels have been perfect compared to the others that I have used in the past. It may be more expensive but it is worth it.
I also use Prime for my dechlorinator.

Mary
__________________
mwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
ChizerBunoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 648
There is nothing wrong with your salt crystals. The IO brand does not cloud up the water unless it is not fully mixed.
__________________
Journal
ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,206
When you get a mix of base rock and live rock, does it matter how you stack it in the tank? Like live rock on the bottom with the base rock on top, or base on bottom? or all jumbled together? Just wondering for when I start my tank!
__________________
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Krypt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Holley, NY
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
When you get a mix of base rock and live rock, does it matter how you stack it in the tank? Like live rock on the bottom with the base rock on top, or base on bottom? or all jumbled together? Just wondering for when I start my tank!
Most people put the base rock on the bottom and the LR on top of it to give the appearance that it is all LR.
__________________
"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would place the rock so that it's most useful and functional.
what i mean by that is, you don't want a big pile with no character. take some time and place the pieces so that when you get done it looks good.

also, you should be concerned with flow being able to cut through the rock work and caverns and such for the fish to swim in and out of and hide in. lastly, you want as many places as possible to be able to place corals.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarineFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, Tn
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj204 View Post
hi there i just got a 50 gallon tank, got instant ocean reef crystal salt and started mixing, on my hydrometer it shows 1.023 but my water looks cloudy? is this normal cycling still, its been like this for 2 days now, and whats my next step? live rock and some crabs?
To address your first question, yes it is normal for salt mixes to be cloudy at first. With proper circulation, this should clear up in a few hours. However, if I am reading your post right, it looks like you may have mixed the salt in the tank. That's probably ok since there is nothing in the tank. Going forward though, you will need to mix your salt in a separate container so as not to kill your stock. ; ) As others have already pointed out, the next step could be to add rock if you are going reef or fowlr. If fish only, pick some hardy, inexpensive fish (damsels perhaps) and add them once the salinity, temp and ph is stable. GL!
__________________
To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
redneckgearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: tulsa OK
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFlake View Post
To address your first question, yes it is normal for salt mixes to be cloudy at first. With proper circulation, this should clear up in a few hours. However, if I am reading your post right, it looks like you may have mixed the salt in the tank. That's probably ok since there is nothing in the tank. Going forward though, you will need to mix your salt in a separate container so as not to kill your stock. ; ) As others have already pointed out, the next step could be to add rock if you are going reef or fowlr. If fish only, pick some hardy, inexpensive fish (damsels perhaps) and add them once the salinity, temp and ph is stable. GL!
You mean add the fish after the cycle is complete right? Because adding fish to an uncycled tank is IMO not an option. Putting a fish through that is no way to treat them. just my two cents
__________________

__________________
redneckgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cloud, cloudy, crystal, instant ocean, mixing, reef, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Instant Ocean Sea Salt problem shjuho Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 8 08-16-2006 11:05 PM
If you had to pick between Instant Ocean and Oceanic salt Scatcat Saltwater Reef Aquaria 12 01-27-2006 04:50 PM
Instant Ocean - Salt or Reef Crystals ? djmpj2 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 02-24-2005 07:29 PM
Instant Ocean salt MarkW19 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 24 10-10-2004 03:47 PM
Instant Ocean Salt $53.80 AFTER shipping fishfreek General Retailers 10 11-30-2003 02:42 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.