Mixing Red Sea Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have always been buying natural sea water but would now like to try mixing my own salt and making my own water. I have Red Sea Salt (pic attached) but the instructions on the back of the bag on how much salt to mix is not very clear. How many cups or tablespoons of salt would I need for mixing 40L (about 10g) based on achieving 1.025 salinity for soft / SPS coral? There is no measuring cup in bag. Also, once I mix the water up in a bin I then plan on running a submersible power head in there for 24 hours just so everything stirs and mixes up adequately. Does this plan sound ok? thanks.

Attachments

• image-3968273691.jpg
    image-3968273691.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 66
I mix a half cup per gallon and mix for 90 minutes, works great

I mix a half cup per gallon and mix for 90 minutes, works great

Thanks, yeah I think half a cup per gallon is the general consensus I'm getting from people. So you don't think mixing and having a power head in there running for 24 hours before adding to main tank would be better? Can anyone else advise on this?

Can't say if longer would be better. I use a pump so it's turbulent. I can say I've been doing it this way for a year with no ill effects with salinity levels or other parameters.

Let the salt sit overnight like you said you were going to do, there are very small particles we can't see that take time to dissolve. Also, I've found with my Red Sea that just under half a cup per gallon usually gets me to 1.026

Back
Top Bottom