Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mixing salt

Hello,

I went to the need by store that sells RO water(got 40 gallons of it), got it 2 days ago.
I have 2 unused and clean 5.5 gallon tanks for mixing( can't find any clean 5 gallon buckets)
I added in each tank a heater and a aquaclear 200 filter for mixing the salt and water.
Its been a day(the salt level is 1.018) there is salt on the bottom of the tank, so I use a baster to try to move the salt around to dissolve it into the water....but still doesn't dissolve..whys that?
also the tank is still cloudy, when would it be clear?
Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 AM   #2

what kind of salt is it? and what temp. is the water?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotz_potential
what kind of salt is it? and what temp. is the water?
Istant Ocean and the temp is 80F
Old 03-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #4

I noticed you said you have aan aqua clear 200 filter on there.. I would try a power head.. It'll kick the stuff around more and it may work..
Old 03-11-2004, 01:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

its probably not salt but precipitate.
i have found that if i leave salt water in my mix tank for more than 12 hours at 80F then precipitates start to form on tank bottom and heater.
try this. let ro/di water aerate for a few days with no heat. two days before doing a water change turn the heat on. apx twelve hours before before doing a water change add salt. ive found that 1640g of salt mix makes apx 9 gal of salt water at 1.025 sg. do your water change. after the water change i add a couple gallons of hot water and a splash of chlorine bleach to the mix tank. use a green scrubby or one of those micro fiber cloths to clean the tank and heater of any precipitates. drain the water and dry.

those micro fiber cloths are great. buy them at your local hardware store for about 2-3$. no lint no chemicals. you can get a scale at a kitchen store for around 20$. its much more reliable than a measuring cup. since getting the scale ive never needed to make adjustments in salinity when making salt water.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:20 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
those micro fiber cloths are great. buy them at your local hardware store for about 2-3$. no lint no chemicals. you can get a scale at a kitchen store for around 20$. its much more reliable than a measuring cup. since getting the scale ive never needed to make adjustments in salinity when making salt water.
Nice tip, Kudos!!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixing, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com