mixing salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I'm setting up this 15 gl tank. I've added the salt to the new tank.
Should i turn on my waterpump and heating unit already? Or should i just leave the tank for 10 days with only the pump running to get my salt levels right? Does it matter if i turn on the heating unit?
tnx in advance..

in my opion you need to test the water and see what the salt is. then turn everything on get it going heater and ph, pumps, light is that important since i assume your starting this tank. then there is no since waiting ten days it wont do anything and wont hurt you not trying to age the water for an existing tank setup. since this if the fisrt you the water aging doesnt matter. what does matter is getting the alk salt level right and getting either uncured live rock or a small shirmp in the tank to start the cycle which "can" take a month to complete. and even if you see ok levels after a week i always wait for at least a month to be on the safe side.
also i assume you know about the test you need lr or biowheels and live sand. if you dont the articles section has advice on how to start. so i hope that helps its much easier to start up right or a few months out the tank crashes and everything is lost.
hope this helps

for now i just have the tank running with ro water and added the salt. I just have the pump running to let the water circulate a bit. I think i'll first get my salt lvl's right and after that i'll add the live sand. When the sand is in the tank, i'll add the shrimp or some LR to start the cycle?
Correct me if i'm wrong plz :)

Back
Top Bottom