Mixing salt & Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajg1460

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me approximately how much salt I need per gallon. The directions on the bag of Kent sea salt are really vauge. I'm just looking for a ball park amount that will get me somewhere near 1.020 - 1.023 at 77 deg F. thanks

Ok I know it's kind of a dumb question :oops: and I hesitated to ask, but ....my directions say put in 1/3 of the amount of salt needed mix and then add the rest. Those are great instructions if you know the total amount needed. I hate being a newbee

It is not a dumb question. There is really no correct measurement. It depends on the SG you wish to achieve. It will just take trial and error on your part. I use Coralife salt and keep my SG at 1.024. I know it takes 3 cups of salt for every 5 gal. of water to get my SG to 1.024 at 80 degrees F. SG will change slightily with temp. so take your best guess and let the water age for 24hrs and recheck. Adjust by adding more salt or FW as needed.

Back
Top Bottom