Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Mixing saltwater

Just a quick question:-

When mixing saltwater, does it all have to be mixed for the 24 hours in one go (with no interruptions), or can I do, say, 7 hours, then start up mixing again a few hours later?

And, will mixing for 48 hours have any negative effects?

MarkW19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If it's an emergency, I'll mix it up, make sure it's just right, and use it.

I have kept mixed water for about 48hrs with no problem.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Keeping mixed water for peirods of time is fine as long as you limit the evaporation and have the water at tank temp when doing a water change.

You should try to allow at least a few hours of mixing time as there are many chemical reactions going on after your have mixed the salt and some of these reactions consume oxygen in the water. Allowing ample time for the reactions to complete and the o2 levels to restore is good but in an extreme emergency you can mix and use right away.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
My solutions is a 5 gallon bucket and a small powerhead. Mix it up the night before you plan to do the change, stick the power head in to keep the water cirulating well, then add it when you get home from work the following day.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I mix mine up a week ahead of time. I keep it in sealed buckets and when ready for use I set them all up the night before and put a PH in each one and let it run all night. The temp on the water is never usually more than 4-5 degrees off from my tank temp and with a tank the size I got (125) 30 gallons of water don't really change the temp that much.

I have succesfully stored mixed water for 3 weeks without any adverse problems with the water. I think as long as you have gasketed buckets to keep the seal you should be OK.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I mix my water in a 32 gal can, I have a PH and heater in there and i mix it and let it sit for weeks and sometimes a month or more. With the PH and heater there is no problems. No tight seal is needed I have the garbage can lid on thats all. They says its best to let it mix for 24 hours but as others have said in an emergency a hour would be fine IMO.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I use a 32 gallon Bruet trash can. I only use a powerhead in it to circulate it. I have a 225 gallon so I do not worry about the temperature difference. I drain 30 gallons from my sump and pump the new water into my sump with the powerhead. I have not seen any temperature change and have had no problems. I usually run the powerhead for 18-24 hours depending on my schedule before I put the new water in my tank.

tmcpeek is offline   Reply With Quote

mixing, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com