Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mixing Saltwater

I have been using instant ocean salt for making my saltwater, but had a problem with nitrates. So i went to the LFS and got some real ocean water. Is it ok to mix this up like this? I cannot use my tap water just yet as i checked the nitrates and they are at about 40 out of my well. And my DI unit is down. No fish in tank just inverts. And they all seem to be ok.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40 but going down.
PH 8.3

Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So long as pH and temperature matches...all should be just fine. You can put a denitrate filtering media in your filter to help absorb excess nitrates in the system. Prime or Aqua Plus water conditioners will help protect the fish.

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.as...S&Category=806

This would be a good investment...not just for your fish, but for yourself and family as well

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The only thing you have to worry about is parasites in the ocean water. I`ve read where you have to let it sit in dark for a while to kill them. But the word I`ve Heard is dont use it. But I`ve never used it myself. I`d do some research if I was you first.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure the nitrate problem was with the salt and not your water source?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

We use to use ocean water, but it was obtained through a marine research facility that filters ocean water. If you live in Southern California, Scripps is a place you can get ocean water for free. You just have to get there and haul it. That's the only reason why we stopped. The trips there and back just became a pain.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I do not think the nitrate problem was with the salt. It is with my well water. The ground i live on use to be a farm. And you know that farmers fertilize. So we end up with more nitrates in our water.
Anyway until i get my DI unit back up and running i just went and got some real ocean saltwater. Because i really would like to get the nitrates down. I am using a nitrate sponge in the filter also. I was just wanting to make sure that mixing salt mix and real ocean saltwater would not cause a great problem.
As soon as i get my filter working again i will go back to instant ocean salt mix.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I live at Orange Beach Alabama an just go over to the beach an get water from the gulf. Never had a problem with the water, fish have never been better.

Tags
mixing, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com