Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to mardeebo
Mixing saltwater - need your tips & tricks! I hate this

I have my 72 gallon tank in my living room (carpeted floor). The nearest sink is about 25 feet away (kitchen sink).

I do have a python, so taking water out of the tank is pretty painless.

I'm just trying to figure out how I should put the water back IN the tank. I also am not the best when it comes to planning ahead (dang that 24 hour wait period after adding the salt mix!

So what do you guys do? Can you just have premixed saltwater sitting somewhere (say the basement) or is not good to let it sit too long? How big of a pump would I need to get it from that storage container in the basement all the way up & into my tank? (would be about 50 feet plus up one filight of stairs.)

I also don't have an RO/DI filter (yet) so I have to buy RO water.

Looking for tips & tricks for making this maintenance a bit easier. I should be doing 10% changes weekly, right?

Thanks!

2 AquaClear 300s (replacing w/sump asap!)
50 lbs Live Rock (adding 40lbs after done curing)
1 PC light 4x65w
1 powerhead (not sure size) - will add 3 more

Current fish:
1 yellow tang
1 O clown
1 scooter blenny
2 tiny blue damsels
1 sea cucumber (large)
1 green brittle star (large)
2 bubble tip anemones
1 zebra hermit
10 or so turbo snails/margarita snails
10 or so red legged hermits
AIPTASIA to choke a horse. UGG.
mardeebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I have a 22 gal bucket that's on wheels. Water & salt is mixed with a powerhead for 24+ hours so that it's fully dissolved. Then, when the time comes to do a water change, I syphon fill an identical 22 gal bucket from the main tank to the same level that the freshly mixed water is at, pump the dirty water into the sink, and then pump the clean water into the tank. That way, I know that I'm not adding too much, or wasting any.

As for 50', that's going to be next to impossible. You could try a pool pump... but that would be so expensive and loud... probably not going to be worth it. 8O My biggest suggestion is that you get your ro/di unit and have the outlet hose wired like you would a cable tv wire... along the floor & walls so that it exits into some kind of jug or bucket next to the tank.

I do 20% water changes every two weeks... less need to pull out my equipment for each time.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to mardeebo
Bucket on wheels! That's a good upgrade from my 5 gallon pail that I spilled on the floor last night.

The root of the problem is that my hubby is a big-time neat freak. He can't stand seeing things out of place and the rubbermaid container in the laundry room is in the way and "looks bad". Whatever. He loves the tank though!

So that's why the basement would be the best for mixing up the water. Yet, I don't want to lug 15 gallons of water up & down the stairs. We do have a sump for the basement drain that is no longer needed - could I use that to get the water back up stairs or would the saltwater ruin it? If I did the bucket on wheels thing, it would shorten the distance of the pump from 50 ft to more like 20 feet, including a 12' rise.

I also have a 1 year old son that gets into everything so I can't exactly have a big bucket of water sitting somewhere that he can find & get at somehow.
2 AquaClear 300s (replacing w/sump asap!)
50 lbs Live Rock (adding 40lbs after done curing)
1 PC light 4x65w
1 powerhead (not sure size) - will add 3 more

Current fish:
1 yellow tang
1 O clown
1 scooter blenny
2 tiny blue damsels
1 sea cucumber (large)
1 green brittle star (large)
2 bubble tip anemones
1 zebra hermit
10 or so turbo snails/margarita snails
10 or so red legged hermits
AIPTASIA to choke a horse. UGG.
mardeebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Same with me. 35 gallon garbage can on wheels with it's own return pump. Pump the water out a hose into the tub, drop the return pump into the garbage can and pump the new into the tank.

Water changes have never been easier.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll need a very expensive pump to clear 8-10 feet of height/head and 35 feet of distance.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mix the water in a large rubbermaid tub for a day or so right next ot the tank. Use a mag 7 to pump it into the main.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
44 Gallon Brute with a 100W heater, a mag 9.5 and the lid on loose. I keep the mag 9.5 on a T fitting. One end of the T circulates the pre-made, the other has 20 feet of 1" flex tube controlled by a ball valve. I put the hose in the tank, crank it open and fill it up! When im finished I shut off the flow to the flex and coil it on top of the brutes lid. <works best if the ball valve on the flex line is very close to the discharge of the line so you can shut it off without running across the room, kinda like a firehose>

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just have two 5 gallon buckets with lids and a 5 gallon sparklets water jug that i fill with RO water from my machine and i just lift them to the top of the tank and go to town. I guess im just old school. I dont have anyway to store big *** 20 gallon containers. buckets are easily stackable.

Also, is it recommended to let the water sit for 24 hours for reef tanks or for all salt water aquarium ?

I just found 30gal buckets for 51 bucks.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really need to invest in a good pump. I scoop and pour 30 gallons of water from a 32 gallon can, 3 gallons at at time with a bucket. Its literally a pain in the neck!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
zacdl

You can buy a 1000+ Gph pump for about $50.

Tags
ick, mixing, salt, saltwater, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com