Mixing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going with a 3" sand bed in display tank. I am going to be getting the Carib Sea Sugar Sized .2-1.2mm (cant get Old Castle in Calif.), should I mix the grain size. Thinking of Seafloor Special grade 1-1.7mm for 1" bottom layer. I will be using LR and LS for majority of filtration.
I would think the bigger grain size would be good for inverts with a foot and add stability to LR arrangement. I will be housing a few smaller fish. Tank is 100gal

If you are going to get wrasses or hawkfish or gobies that like digging themselves in the sand I would go with fine sand. Also, great filtration since Crush Coral can hold Nitrates which you don't want. I have 3" of Live aragonite & 2" of Florida keys Live sand in my tank.

I went with about 4" of the Caribbean Sea Aragamax (sugar size) for the whole bed. I wouldn't mix in a much larger grain size as it could become a debris trap.

I went with about 4" of the Caribbean Sea Aragamax (sugar size) for the whole bed. I wouldn't mix in a much larger grain size as it could become a debris trap.

Back
Top Bottom