Mixing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is the secret behind mixing the sand? My LFS told me that do not mix the sand it will release some type of gas that will kill my fish. Can someone clarify this, I would like to mix my sand once in a while. I have a 20 Gal. salt water setup with 20lb live sand and 18 lbs live rock.

-HUR

it will release the gas that the anaerobic bacteria produce. Not sure what it is the guy at the fish store says sulphur dioxide but how can you have a dioxide in the absence of oxygen?

Is it a shallow sand bed, or a deep sand bed? If it is a DSB, you should not stir it, if it is a shallow sandbed it is beneficial to stir it every now and again, just don't stir to vigorously.

possum said:
Not sure what it is the guy at the fish store says sulphur dioxide but how can you have a dioxide in the absence of oxygen?

It's a common misconception due to the smell it can produce but the proper term is hydrogen sulphide and is a byproduct of bacteria that live in anaerobic states.

Cheers
Steve

My sand bed is about 1.5 to 2 inches thick. The reason I want to stir it is the algea growth, and fish waste. I have green and brown algea problem. Every couple of weeks I stir the sand little bit so I can hide the algea. Hope I am not doing anything wrong.

-HUR

Back
Top Bottom