Mixing tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, wanted to ask if you could mix a kole yellow eye tang and scopas tang. I was hoping I could because they have different body shapes but wanted to double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First question what size is the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

110 gallon tank
I plan on only having them with my: bicolour blenny, flasher wrasse, foxface, copper band butterfly and my Lamark angelfish

I just rescued a scopas tang he is still a juvenile I saved him from the mighty porcelain thrown , he is a little over 2 in he is one of the most aggressive tangs I've seen , I don't plan on keeping him long due to his aggression , my tank is fairly mellow and this guy seems to just pick fights , I have 2 wrasses in the tank a lunare and a red coris they seem to back the tang into a corner till he mellows out , they not once touched him they just seem to be the tank police keeping things quiet , I don't think a kole and a scopas would fair well together , just for the reason the scopas seem to be nasty against tank mates ,
once I find a home for the one I have he will be packing his bags
I have aggressive fish and they seem like angels compared to the scopas

if you plane on keeping him with the fish in post 3 I see a blood bath

Yes you can mix those Tangs together without issue.
I had em both in my tank for a few years without issues.

Scopas tangs can be like clown tangs, very aggressive. It depends on the fish and surroundings, but I would be cautious. My clown tang cannot be added to my general population because he attacks anything in his tank.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

In a tank that size it would be best to avoid the scopas, like previously mentioned. But there are many other really beautiful tangs to choose from! I personally can't get over the powder browns.

I do love the powder brown but I thought the scopas tang would be better at managing algae. Or is it a tie?

Per my tank

6218-albums6891-picture31662.jpg

Nice, and I'm not going to rely on these tangs to get rid of algae. I'm just creating a reef tank so the majority of the fish I have are to complete a job and make my job easier. So two tangs that are good at grazing at algae would be awesome.

Sweet, thanks a lot everyone.

Although that's a lot of big fish for a 110, yes, those two tangs can be kept together. I have a bristle tooth tomini tang (close relative of the yellow eye kole) and a scopas tang together, and they don't quarrel at all.

Back
Top Bottom