Mixing water from nano to main display tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am setting up my first 20L nano tank. Was thinking of ideas to somehow connect this to my main tank (140) with an overflow box. I could run the overflow box once a week for a couple hours to mix the water with the main. (unfortunately I'm unable to permanently attach the two tanks as one as across the room from the other).

Any advantages to this setup? Maybe it would be a bit more stable?

My reasoning would be to do all my water changes through my main tank instead of my nano. I didn't want to run a skimmer on the nano as I could dilute the nano water with the main. I also have a fuge on my main tank, etc.

Thoughts? Waste of time/effort?

Sounds like a good idea to me. The larger tank sounds like it had a lot better filtration on it. The more ofter you switched around the water the better. The only think i can think of you would have to watch out for is top off water. Make sure you top off the nano before changing water with the main tank or it will slowly throw off your salinity.

I put sugar-sized aragonite sand and dry base rock in the tank & about 5 pounds of live rock from my main tank to help seed the base rock. Is there a need to have this tank cycle as well? Currently I am using a raw shrimp to cycle the water that way but wasn't sure if this was 100% necessary as I will be mixing the water with my main tank once a week.

Yeah it is probably better to cycle the tank. Even in a week you could build up a considerable amount of ammonia that would be harmful for any fish or inverts. If you wanted to change a little more often for the first month or so you could probably get away with not cycling the tank.

Back
Top Bottom