Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2003, 03:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mixing your own saltwater

I am trying to find out how people are mixing their own saltwater. What I have done in the past was just mix it in 5 gal buckets for my water changes. What I want to do is make a whole automatic system with reserve tanks (55 gallon plastic drums), RO/DI system, and a top off tank. My questions are what items, additives, and other items. If you have designs please explain how your system is setup.

Old 04-04-2003, 05:58 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
What I put in at the store is just several 55 gal plastic drums with the tops cut out. We have a 275 gal container for RO/DI water and we pump it over into the mixing drums. As far as additives go, I don't add anything but salt. Not a real modern setup I guess, but it works.
Logan J

Old 04-04-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have two 30 gal trashcans. One hold fresh RO water for topping off my tanks and making KALK mix. The other trashcan I fill with RO water and then drop in a heater and powerhead. Once the water is up to tank temp I slowly sift in my salt mix till I have a SG close to 1.025. I do let the water sit for at least 24hours from when i add the salt till i check the SG.

I try to keep at least 20 gal of saltwater mixed up at any given time just in case. This also allows my saltwater to age some prior to adding it to my tanks.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

FishFreek - how big is your tank?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

80 gallons, if you dont mind me jumping in, he also has a 20 gallon
Old 04-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
d9hp is correct. I also have close to 25 gal in a sump on the 80.

I use the fresh RO water on my 29 gal FW tank aswell.

I do water changes every 2 weeks on the saltwater tanks.

I do 5 gal on the 20 and 15 gal on the 80.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixing, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com