Mojano or Majono anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got this hitchhiker with some zoanthids I purchased and it has split, can anyone verify that it is an Mojano anemone. I have tried to do some research on the web about it but the pics I find don't look anything like this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Looks like you got some very nice zooanthids and a very cool looking majano. They are like aiptasia on steroids, best to get rid of them now. Repeated kalk injections should help.

Thanks about the zoo's, I was afraid you'd say that about the anemone, ok, was hoping the peppermint shrimp would take care of it, but I can't find him anywhere now :/ Thanks!

Peppermints will not eat majano anenomes, if fact nothing will, that wont munch your corals too. Kalk injections. I would nip it in the bud fast. I am still battling them. Kalk works, its just that I always miss some.

Greetings.

If you don't have kalk at the moment, you can also use baking soda if you have it already in your house. :)

OK, how much kalk and or baking soda should I add to the tank? Will it hurt the other inhabitants?

I guess just grabbing them with a tongs or with your hands doesn't work or is out of the question?

I don't have kalk now but I'll pick some up tomorrow for sure. Thanks!

John

Ok, woke up this morning, one of them is gone, don't know if it moved or what, it is completely gone, the other is still on the maiden's hair rock, but is all shreveled up, like it needs food, which isn't going to be happening, is this normal for Mojano anemone's?

I will say they can move all over your tank and reproduce fast. I would say get them killed asap or you will have them everywhere. I have to run through and inject several of them about 1 a month because I let them get out of hand. dont let that happen to you.

Well...I got the Kalk. But in the state of California, you can't purchase a syringe without a RX saying you're a diabetic & you need insulin injections. Any other ideas on how I can get rid of them?

I can't just grab them w/ some gloves or tweezers & rip them out of the tank?

I can't just grab them w/ some gloves or tweezers & rip them out of the tank?
Sure you can. But you sure don't want too.
You will leave parts of the pedal disk that will grow into fully formed anemones for every microscopic piece left behind. For every one you rip out you will get 6 or 8 more.
Try a large eye dropper. Maybe one of those baby things you use to give babies medicine. I have one that looks like a king size eye dropper. You could put a lenth of small diameter tubing on the end. It should work fine. You just need to put a dollop of kalk on the oral disk. When you mix calcium hydroxide (aka kalkwasser, aka pickling lime) and fresh water (doesn't need to be hot) it will make a milk colored solution. Use 1 or 2 tsp in an ounce or less of water. When you squirt this concentrate into saltwater it "gels" up and will stay where you put it, for the most part. High current will blow it around so be careful.

Just a quick blurb, you can get some pickling lime at your local grocer a lot cheaper than actual kalkwasser at the LFS, they are the same.

Well one of them, the other one had moved to a really hard location so we are still trying, he doesn't look brown anymore kind of a green limpy color. Still going at it, found a couple more aipastia's too since our peppermint is now missing we are gonna have to dose those too. That should be fun. :|

I have had them in the past and the peppermint shrimp did the trick, as you all nothing in the reef world almost nothing is certian accept kalk

Back
Top Bottom