Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-19-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Mollys from LFS

Has anyone here had a success in directly (slowly acclimating ofcourse) introducing Mollies to your SW tank from an LFS? You know how they say it grows well in FW, then thrives in brackish, then eventually when they get old need SW? Well can they go directly to SW?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of asking this same question....

dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
*disclaimer* i don't know the answer to your question but I have a story.

they had an eel at my LFS and fed him a few mollies one day. they put 3 in the tank. he ate two of them. the third one lived for about 3 months in the tank with the eel before the eel finally caught him.

I think their is a good possibility that the answer to your question is yes. For that matter, the answer to the same question about any brackish fish if probably yes. they live in an aera where the salinity and PH are constantly changing in the wild so I don't see why not.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've seen quite a few posts about converting Molly's to salt water fish. I just don't know why, lol!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Well, let's put it this way: I always wanted to have mollies. They are colorful and fun to look at.

I want to stop at 2 tanks in my townhouse. I have a 29G FW African Cichlid tank...and that about prevents you from having any other type of FW tropical fish in that same tank.

I also have the 55G tank which is bigger. But I think there's nothing more agressive and antisocial than african cichlids. I don't know why I ended up with them but, however great they are, I wish I had a community tank in there instead.

So going back to the rationale: I think I have a better chance adding fish to my SW. It so happens that I wanted to have mollies. So maybe I would put mollies there and hopefully thrive. I get mixed info from diff people at LFS.

Anyone who tried mollies with their other fish in their Fish Only tanks?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
FW Pufferfish can be converted in the same way - but personally i don't see the point - why bother setting up a saltwater tank (more time consuming and costly compared to a FW setup), only to add inexpencive freshwater fish ?? when you could be adding beatifully brightly coloured, imo more interesting marine fish !?
OceanMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Black Mollies can live in SW, but for how long, I don't know.
Back in the day (mid-80's) we used to cycle our SW tanks with black mollies. I remeber sticking about 30 of them into my 90gal w/6"DSB. After 7 - 9 weeks, the tank was cycled, the mollies all lived, and they bred like rabbits. I returned over 70 Black Mollies to the LFS and received extra credit for the babies. They just loved the SW.
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
My Dad converted mollies and they had babies that survived into the saltwater. They were going on 6 months when he finally decided to get some saltwater fish and traded them in at the LFS. When i go to salt with my 90 gal I'm going to do the same thing. Its a good way to prepare your tank for the same bioload as you eventually will have, but use inexpensive fish to do it with. After I'm done with them in the 90, I'm going to reconvert them slowly back to FW and put them in my 38 gallon

38 Gal Freshwater - Livebearer
Whisper 5 HOB
UGF w/ 2 reverse flow Aquaclr 402 powerheads
Turbo-Twist 6x UV sterilizer 18W bulb
18 Watt Triton bulb

10 Gal Freshwater QT tank
3 Gal Fry tank

90 Gal Saltwater tank(coming soon)
cougaran is offline   Reply With Quote

lfs, molly, mollys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com