Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

molting

This may be a dumb question so I am sorry in advance. When my peppermint shrimp molts (twice so far) I remove the old skin and toss it out. Now that I have my peppermint acclimated in my 55 gallon tank instead of a smaller 10gallon tank it's going to be harder to see the clear molt and probably even harder to remove it. I am going to be getting another as well as a cleaner shrimp this weekend when I purchase or hopefully adopt a pair of clowns. What should or what do you guys do when your shrimp molt?

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

All shrimps usually leave their exoskeleton in the open as a diversion while their new shell hardens. I leave it in the tank, the CUC usually eats it.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most I remove, just cuz I don't like the looks of them. Lol. There have been a couple that I couldn't get to, though. The CUC has taken care of those. It's just a matter of choice, really. There's no right or wrong.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just wanted to make sure the CUC would take care of it. Is it better to order off reefs2go or just head over to petco and grab some snails and emeral crabs?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP
I just wanted to make sure the CUC would take care of it. Is it better to order off reefs2go or just head over to petco and grab some snails and emeral crabs?
I guess that would depend on how many you're getting at once. Personally, I only add 8-10 at a time, and that wouldn't be worth paying shipping. I like to make sure i have enough algae so that a big group of them all at once didn't starve. I also just don't like what's in the pre packaged bundles, so I just go to Petco or other LFS around me. It's probably cheaper to buy the big bundle when they're on sale, though. But I really only use astrea, banded trochus, conch and Nassarius snails. And I prefer scarlet reef hermits, although a couple red-legged ones somehow got mixed in there too. In my daughters tank, there are a few bumble bee snails cuz she thought they were cute. I have a ruby crab, wish I didn't have him now, but don't have the heart to catch him and take him back.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Going with the "whole ecosystem" approach, I leave the moults in. It's an extra source of calcium for the critters.
Unrelated, why emerald crabs? If you have corals or anemones, I would pass on the emeralds.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks so ill only get 10 snails for now maybe 5 snails 5 hermits?

The reason I said emerald crab was only because I had one in my nano tank and that's the only one I've had. What is another good crab to get?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The age old reef safe crab question... Short version is that there is no such thing as a 100% reef safe crab. I've even had porcelain crabs attack snails. But they are the safest bet. Small hermits are usually safe as long as well fed.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i had an emerald crab in my 10g tank when i first set it up with 1 turbo snail and two margarita snails and they never bothered eachother. the crab died though like 2-3 months down the line. i am unsure why.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

For every story of an emerald crab behaving itself, there are several of the crab killing things. If you have no corals, might be ok. I just can't stand the little murderous buggers. Lol

Tags
molt, molting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com