Monkfish in a home aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozhp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my cousin is a fisherman and says there are monkfish left and right when there out there. now for all of you who dont know what they look like here is a pic.......
monkfish540.jpg

now he said he could get me a baby monk and i have a vacant 175g tank... i wasnt sure if its been done or is possible i dont know what they would need to live. also there cool because they have a light on there head to luer fish near there mouth so when u shut the lights off it would light up haha
so what do you guys/girls think??

Deep, cold water fish. Would be hard to keep. Plus the fact that they can reach 3"+ in length would make it a bad candidate for captivity. IMO

I was thinking they might have a hard time living in an aquarium due to the pressure difference. As well as light depending on how deep they live. I tried to search for some info on them and found tons of recipes, but nothing really about the fish itself. I still think it would be a bad idea either way due to the colossal size this fish can get to. Some things are better just left in the ocean.

damn it would be cool to keep though. guess ill stick to Piranha-fury and my pygo schoal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PIRANHA-FURY 4 life

Back
Top Bottom