MONSTER Peacock Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Stopped by a LFS today and was talking to the guy as I walked around the store when I spotted a glass bowl inside of a large tank. Inside lay the biggest shrimp I've ever seen. He called it a Peacock Mantis (which I've never seen before) and I must say he was impressive. Had to be 5" long and the bowl he was in was cracked from what the LFS said ramming the bowl. Guy said the shrimp is just silly fast in open water. I didn't have a camera but if you ever see one, you won't soon forget it. Makes me want a species specific tank now:D Made of bulletproof glass...LOL.

Here's the Wikipedia photo

800px-

A friend of mine had one of these and didnt know it. It came as a hitchiker. The same night he got the rock, he kept hearing this loud clicking. He was moving rock around trying to find out what it was when it hit his middle finger. He thought his finger was broken and it left a nasty bruise. The mantis cracked his 30g tank that night. Glass tanks are no good with these guys. You can look up vids on youtube and you will see what I mean.

They are very cool but they are very very nasty. The youtube videos will show you that. They will eat just about anything else in the tank with them.

The peacock mantis are beautiful creatures. Very inquisitive and intelligent to boot (as are all mantis). They can be trained to eat from a feeding stick and will get to know you over time. I'm gonna go against the norm and shock factor and say, I know people who've kept them with never an incident. I don't think the glass breaking is a common occurance but more a wow factor that gets brought up all the time due to youtube. Of course they come with risks but so do many other marine animals we keep. From what I hear though, in a species only tank, they are very rewarding pets. And if your worried about glass smashing, acrylic is great stuff. ;)

And if your worried about glass smashing, acrylic is great stuff. ;)

Thats what I was told at a LFS because i was going to take the one my friend had but figured it was too much of a hassle.

Back
Top Bottom