Monti concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam1103

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I had a couple of montiporas and about three months ago they bleached out really bad. About two weeks ago I noticed several polyps on the tips and new growth towards the rear of it. The new growth was bright red like the original montipora. About two days ago I noticed that it started to bleach out again. Can't figure out what is causing this. All other corals seem to be doing great.. I'll post my tank parameters..
SG- 1.025
Temp- 77.6-78.9
Calcium- 450ppm
Alkalinity- 10.08 dkh or 180 ppm
Ph- 8.3
Magnesium- 1340ppm
Nitrate/nitrites/ammonia- 0
If any one has any ideas or suggestions to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!

Is it possible it is being stung by some other corals. Some corals feeding tentacles will get really long at night. Especially Galaxia, and some brain corals. I have a Hollywood Stunner Chalice, that will put out 3" tentacles at night. Wouldn't think a Chalice would do that, but it does, to my surprise!
If it was doing good, and bleached, and came back to bleach again, it sounds like its being stung.

The closest coral to it is a torch that's about 6-8 inches away. I have a green montipora that's about 4 inches away and it's kinda done the same. It didn't completely bleach the first time. But the new growth on it is starting to bleach slightly.

Yeah, Torch could sting it. From the back and forth of it all, it really sounds like its being stung by something.
Try repositioning the Torch, and see what happens.

Any other ideas besides being stung? Just don't feel like the torch frag is extending 6-8 inches. Plus I just got the frag last week so i don't think this would explain why it bleached out in the first place.

Adam1103 said:
Any other ideas besides being stung? Just don't feel like the torch frag is extending 6-8 inches. Plus I just got the frag last week so i don't think this would explain why it bleached out in the first place.

Soft coral release chemicals as a way of battleing other coral might have some chemical warfare goin on try running carbon

Adam1103 said:
Running carbon and GFO.

Mine did that to about six months ago nothin touching it it turned white except for the very middle never figured out why but it made a full recovery my green monti wasn affected nor was my grape monti only the red one

montipora streaking

My montipora is doing something strange also. I had/have a beautiful seasons greetings montipora that was growing like crazy. I bought a green hairy mushroom that was the size of a quarter in the fish store. I placed the mushroom 4-5in away from the montipora. He expanded pretty fast and in a couple of weeks I figured I would need to move him soon. I did but the very next day my beautiful montipora had tanish bleached streaks through the middle. Is that what the mushroom does? The montipora had grown from 1.5in square to @4x6in in @6mos. There is still mostly green but the tan streaks are right through the middle. Will the coral grow back over the streaks? If it is not caused by the mushroom what could it be... and what do I need to do to fix it? :(

weagle117 said:
My montipora is doing something strange also. I had/have a beautiful seasons greetings montipora that was growing like crazy. I bought a green hairy mushroom that was the size of a quarter in the fish store. I placed the mushroom 4-5in away from the montipora. He expanded pretty fast and in a couple of weeks I figured I would need to move him soon. I did but the very next day my beautiful montipora had tanish bleached streaks through the middle. Is that what the mushroom does? The montipora had grown from 1.5in square to @4x6in in @6mos. There is still mostly green but the tan streaks are right through the middle. Will the coral grow back over the streaks? If it is not caused by the mushroom what could it be... and what do I need to do to fix it? :(

My monti only died where the ricordea was touching it

Back
Top Bottom