Montipora Fragging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
Ive got an Orange Montipora that is getting a bit too large. It`s starting to cone upward, but it seems like its still gonna get too wide pretty soon.

It seems like you could just break off pieces to trim it down and frag it. Is that correct?

thanks for any info.........

That is exactly how I frag mine. I just reach in and snap off pieces, glue them to LR rubble or a frag disk and now you have frags to trade or sell.

that is all there is to it. Break off a chunk, use some super glue gel ( I use Coralfix) and adhere it to some LR rubble. Let is cure a bit before adding it back to the main. Place it in an area of LOW flow for a few days to let it attach and you should be good to go.

is it really that easy? there is nothing to it more than "gluing" it to a rock? It doesn't have to grow its own foothold out from scratch?

Its ture...montis are some of the easiest corals to frag. Just make sure the LR rubble or frag plug is nice and dry and dry off the edge of the fragged coral you are going to attach. let is cure for a few minutes outside of the tank and then introduce it to an area of low flow for a few days.

It is awesome. There are so many corals out there that can fragged and propogated in the home tank. Get in contacat with a local reef club if you have one. It is a great source for fragged corals. The more aqua-cultured corals we buy...the more natual corals are left in the ocean.

There are so many term I do not understand yet. I feel like I am back in nursing school learning medical terms. I have to ask, what is fragging and LR?
T

I am located in staten island, NY. The brooklyn aquarium society sound slike the coolest thing. I might go check out one of their meetings soon. I got the water in my tank! STEP ONE COMPLETE! lol. This forum has been a big help

Back
Top Bottom