Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
moonlight alternative

simply put

glow wire NOT ROPE LIGHT

it isnt too bright and (depending how u mount it)
and has a slight shimmering effect

i just tried a peice of aqua blue glow wire that i had over when i modded my computer
and it works pretty good
and NO heat very cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

one thing the wire is very flexible but if you get too crazy with it u will damage it
basicaly it it a coated wire that is electrified with 2 very small wires runing along with it

look into it glow wire isnt expensive at all
for about $20 bucks you should get about 5 feet it includes the transformer thingy just splice in a 12v wall transformer and bingo!
you COULD find it at auto parts stores but i would check auto soundsystem stores (aka goosebumps ,etc)

greatgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Regular moonlight should be in the 470nm light range. Many people on here have said they have used alternatives and had bad reactions from their livestock. The moonlights are not supposed to be used just so you can see your fish at night, they are supposed to be so that your animals get a natural spectrum of light 24 hours a day. I've never heard of the wire item but it sounds simple and cool. Do you use it all night or do you only use it while you are actually there to look at the tank? I would be interested to hear other opinions on this, because it does sound like an inexpensive alternative.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
well the tank is not fully set up yet
building my canopy next week
i will mount it about 3" above te surface
when i will use it is from 1030 pm till 630 am
another day
another dead brain cell
dont it suck?
greatgman is offline   Reply With Quote

light, moonlight

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com