Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2003, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Moonlights

Thinking of going with the deal one of the sponsors has on here for moonlights but was wondering how everyone has theirs set up in their hood. We have a 60 gallon tank and not sure where we would mount them, how many we would need, we don't want it to be too bright, just enough like as if it were under the ocean. Look forward to anyone's input!

Thanks

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I got 2 moonlights from captivereefs and I am not sure what mine will look like but I will let you know tomorrow

I have a canopy with 2 1x6 boards on either side of my PC light strip as covers. I was going to mount them on the board behind the light but my internal overflow is on the backside offset to one side and I thought it might block some of the light. So I mounted them just in front of my light strip which is almost center. I bought 2 for my 75 gal tank and I centered the two to try and get equal distance.

BTW, my canopy raises the light up about 3 inches off the water so the moonlights are a similar distance.

I'll post results tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2003, 02:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure if this helps for placement, but I just ordered a 30" & 48" CSL PC Moonlite fixture from our sponsor and the 30" utilizes 2 moonlites & the 48" utilizes 4 moonlites.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The moonlights are great but I want more of them I think 4 would do it but I sure ain't spending another $40-60.

I think it depends on what you want to see but they way they sort of spotlight an area, I would like to have 4 on my 4 ft tank.

The lights are constructed well and are easy to install. Just 1 screw does it.

Just an FYI
Old 12-30-2003, 10:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have two that I bought from captive reefs and I love them. I have a 65 gallon tank. (four foot tank) I think that four would be way too bright. They are very easy to install and do not take up much space.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to see what 4 look like in a 75 gal, click on my gallery, I posted a pic of it the other day.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used one of those blue rope lights which seems to work quite well. I cut it to the length I wanted and replaced the cap that is at the end of it. Be careful when you cut that you cut it longer than you want because the lights are connected so that when you cut one part of it about a foot or 2 goes out when you cut it. It makes the aquarium just bright enough for you to see it at night.

HTH,
josh
Old 12-30-2003, 10:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
Anyone interested in moonlights, but not willing to spend the money? PM me, as my aquarium society, MARS (www.marineaquarist.org) is going to have a DIY on creating moonlights, and I will be sure to give info to anyone interested.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Here is one I read before I bought mine.

http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

It makes it looks easy but I figured I needed some stuff anyway ... I have heard some say the power supply can be expensive but I actually saw a variable power supply at Target for under $10.

I would like to know what LED if any can be bought from radio shack or similar? The place listed on the website makes you order a few more than I need.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:49 AM   #10

Custom Sea life rcomends that 1 be used every 2 feet of tank length. I think this works the best as it is not to bright and you can still see alot of life crawling around. They are truly awesome to look at when they are on!

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com