Moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look at the price you are going to pay at radio shack for them!!! 2.99 per bulb. I used 16 bulbs on my 55gal tank! I wouldnt pay that much for them. Thats rediculous. Order 20 bulbs from lsdiods.com for 10bucks. Get your resistors and AC/DC transformer from www.bgmicro.com. The whole thing will cost 20 bucks at most.

Ok, now I understand how to connect the led to the resistor and all that now I need to know how to connect all that stuff to an ac/dc transformer? Never seen a 12v ac/dc before. Should I get one from radioshack, and how much do they run??

I am looking at radioshack.com and I am not finding any dc transformers, I just find car adapters, I need some Help LOL

What I used was a plug in transformer for a portable Cd player. 4.5 volts, 39 ohm resistors. I am working on seeing if my isp has enough disk space for the moonlight file if so them you can just download it. :mrgreen:

hmm, cool that would work Resistors actually are soldered to the led, so Im guessing U have 39 leds? Or is that what it can hold?

No the 39 ohm resistor reduces the voltage from 4.5 down to around 3.3 which is half way between the high an dlow on the led.

??? So then what in the world do I do?? Im going to get 5 blue led's mA: 20 (max.), Vf: 3.7 (volts typ.), Vf: 4.5 (volts max.) and the resistors I got planned were 5 150ohm 1/2-watt, 5% tolerance carbon-film resistors. And get some speaker wire, and what transformers do I get for the set up?? Here are the sites of what I am going to get:

LED'S:http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_006_002_000&product_id=276-316

Resistors:http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=271-1109
Will this work?? if not then what will?? Thanks For your help

Yea that would work but if you get that one you need a different resistor that what I suggested.

led is 3.7 v
poser supply is 6 volts.

6 minus 3.7 is 2.3 so we need to drop the voltage by 2.3 volts.

so you take the 2.3 volts divide by .02 for 20 ma. gives you 115, so you need a resistor with a value of 115 ohms. You can probally go 100 ohms with no problems. :mrgreen:

Dude! Just get this:

http://www.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp...PWR1022&page=1&cri=PWR&stype=2&time_out=19:52

Its five bucks. PM me your address and ill mail you some resistors. I bought a 200pack when i orederd for 4 bucks, so i can spare some for you. Just castrate the end off this thing and use the wire thats already there. There is no need to spend more money on speaker wire.

After you snip the end off, strip about an inch of insulation off the ends. Then twist one of the resistors to the FLAT side of the LED. Now twist the ends onto the bare wire. Plug it in. If it lights, BINGO, you know which way to solder your connections. If it doesnt, no biggie, just swap the wires and plug it back in. Now strip small areas of the insulated wire, where you want the LEDs to go, and solder them in place. Make sure that you follow the same order as the first one. I'll send you some heat shrink insulation, use it on the resistors. Then use some cilicone to cover the exposed wires. Tadaaaaaa..... You now have moonlights.

Back
Top Bottom