Moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moejoephd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys i just set up a 4bulb DIY moonlight deal on my tank, The bulbs are 470nm and everything seems to be running fine. My question is.... Will only the areas that are in the direct spot light of the light benifit from it or will the overall tank benifit from the lights even though the light may not be directly shining on it??? thanks in Advance.

I''m pretty sure but moonlights are only for aesthetic. Some say if the moonlights are in conjunction with the phases of the Moon it will cause your corals to spawn.

FYI- Most moon lights i know of use LED's not bulbs.

yea led's is what i meant, I though that if you get the same wavelength as moonlight then its all good.

The blue LED's are just to be able to see in your tank after the lights go off with minimal stress on your livestock. Your tank won't benefit from having them on any more than having them off. The anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise is just a bit of wishful thinking. Kind of like putting magnets on your car fuel lines. If the driver truly believes, the car will feel faster.

I use them basically for what indy said above- so that when my lights turn off, it doesn't get pitch-black and freak out the fish (they used to start darting around like mad). Plus I have 'em cause they look pretty cool at night when I have company over. I'll have my normal lights go off at 9:00, then actinics until 10:00, then moonlights until 11:00. It's just my preference, though.

Back
Top Bottom